1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on a HOA bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bristolturf, Mar 5, 2010.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Working on a HOA bid right now for a private subdivision. Total road around the neighborhood is about 0.4 miles. There are two cul-de-sacs with islands in the middle of them. Im either going to use a small to medium size dump or a skid loader with an 8ft blade for this job, depends on what I have near there.

Just want to see what others think about my bid. I am figuring about $30/salt application and then $45 per plowing. Going to try and get them to agree upon a seasonal agreement. I figure for S.E. WI we see about 9 salts and then 15 plows plus salt, so i came up with abut $1400 per season.

Never really done anything as far as seasonal goes, and would like to try and get a few for next year.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

If that's what you need to make on it, then great. But 1400 is your average. If you are going to price seasonally, hedge your price based on the bad winters too.

3. bristolturf

I revised it a little bit now, I based it on just an average number of visits before thinking mainly 1 visit each. I went back to the weather records and figured out what the average of 1-4, 4.1-7, 7.1-10, 10.1-12, and >12 storms were and then figured my price based on that.

To those of you who do private roads, lets say your getting like a 6" storm, after about 2-3 inches or so you come through and plow it. Do you salt it too or not. On parking lots I dont, but I wasnt to sure on this one. Right now I am figuring just one salt at the end, but maybe im wrong on that one.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends on what the HOA wants....I have one that wants the entrances salted and plowed during the storm...I have another that just wants to be plowed every 2" and salted at the final push...Maybe ask them what they are looking for...

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Exactly. Each will want something different. In a perfect world, they ask for zero tolerance, and you make so much you buy another house there. In reality, HOA types, once a day in a long storm, before the morning rush.

6. bristolturf

thats what I was thinking of doing, try to clear it out at about 6 630 just in time for people to leave for work and the kids to get to the bus, maybe again during the afternoon around 1230 1 or so and then once around 430 5. I am thinking of one of those long drawn out snow storms though on that. I will ask them when I bid.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Likely what they'll tell you is: "Just when it stops snowing" but then when it snows for 48 hours, they'll be pissed you didn't come out twice daily. Do prep them for the excellent service you're going to give them and the cost associated with same.