1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on 2001 Chevy HD Boss Mounts - Looking to Compare to Others

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BossPlow614, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BossPlow614

BossPlow614 2000 Club Member

On my 01 8.1, I had to cut the valance as you can see below. I notice on all other Chevys (which somehow are 03 and newer) the boss mounts sit below the valance, do other 01 mounts require some removal of the valance?

I hate the look of it because you can see the skid plate from the front, granted I could have left some of the valance in place above the mounts but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get my hands in there to get the spring pullers when putting the plow on/taking it off.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I remember on my 2000 non-HD it required cutting for Fisher push plates while on my 04 HD(it is cut, PO cut it), the valance can be flexed up a little bit and it doesn't need to be cut at all. Or you can notch the bottom without cutting all the way through. Still don't understand why Boss designed a mounting system that requires that much cutting.
  3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the side plates on your mount were trimmed at one time or the other. Without the trimming it would allow the mount to be lower and have room for the valance. This would also require torsion bars beeing turned up or keys installed also so the mount stays at the right height.

Also I believe was a updated mount that had the mount further out since the bumper was further out or something like that.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Someone hacked on that mount. Appears it's too high too therefore why you had to chop the valance so much. That isn't normal.
  5. BossPlow614

BossPlow614 2000 Club Member

That's what I'm thinking, the guy I bought the plow and mount from said it came off the same truck, doubtful, maybe a half ton. But I'm going to try to find a mount that doesn't require that much cutting and that is fully intact.

Does anyone have pics of a boss mount on an 01 or 02?