1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question of V-Box Salt/Sanders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bryan, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

As a manufacturer we are looking for some feedback from the customer as to what manufacturer of motor do you the customer view as the best unit, Briggs or Honda. This weekend at the International Lawn & Garden Expo, I heard both. As we all know the Briggs is a cheaper unit and the Honda is a $450-$600 increase on the spreaders. I would appreciate any feedback you can provide.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Bryan,

Honda's would be a better buy in my opinon.

I am going to buy a NEW spreader this year and looking into that as an option if available.

BTW: What company do you work for?

3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

In another post from him I saw that he works for Sno-Way.

4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

This has nothing to do with the sander question but experience from the lawn mower side tells me to avoid briggs whatever the application.l

Pull heads are a bear, if not impossible to repair in the field, have an 8 hp blower that has leaked fuel through the carb since the day I bought it. They run just fine but are not my first choice and I would pay more to avoid them.

Just one mans opinion.

CMerLand

5. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

I truly believe you pay for what you get.The Honda has always been reliable for us on our sanders. The Briggs has always let us down and to me its worth the extra money.Personally i prefer electric or hydralic driven sanders to gas as these 2 types take the motor breakdown issue out of the picture.
    John Parker
    Taconic
    845-485-4200
    BBQ 10-13-2001

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

From what I can see in catalogs there is NOT a $450-600 dollar difference between the Briggs and the Honda. I don't have direct comparisons, but an 11 hp vertical shaft Honda is $690 and a cheapie Briggs 8hp is $420. I would thinkt hat the difference between an 8 hp Briggs I/C and an 8 Honda would be less than what I just came up with.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm firmly in the Sno-Way camp, but those numbers you tossed out sound like, "They want a Honda, put it to'em!"

And I would buy Honda over Briggs any day, for a reasonable price difference.

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I think as a general rule, the majority of us would not mind paying a little more for our equipment as long as it starts, runs, and stops when it's supposed to. Ease of operation and repair is another factor as well. I personally have not had any bad experiences with a Briggs & Stratton motor, but given the choice I would prefer a Honda.

-Tim

8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I don't have a V box with a honda on it but i do have a lot of other honda equipment. They never quit, only when they need oil do they shut down (which is a nice featue i think they all come with) I have an air compresser and a generator both with hondas and they run 70- 90 hours a week. They get abused run in dirty conditions, get rained on, run in the hot sun in the summer and through the cold all winter. They get oil only when they shut down but they just keep on running. I wouldn't buy anything else. The abuse these things take is rediculous.

However a big difference in the price of the spreader could definitly turn me towards ther Briggs

Casey

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

My answer is neither. I used to be sold on gas powered V-boxes. However, I don't want to deal with them any more.

There is a second engine to maintain.
    Controlls Fail. The electric controlls of today's V-boxes are better then the cable of controlls of before.
    You have to supply a fuel source.
    A second battery is needed.

So my answer.

I spend more to set my v-boxes up. However they are driven off hydro, with electric controll valves.

This system always starts, if you keep an eye on your hydro lines. No more gas cans in the back of the truck. Now more need to check engine oil on the sander. Press a button and go,

Geoff

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a airflow unit from 1990 and it starts right away all the time. 8.5 briggs I/C. It doesnt burn a drop. Now I had a warren with the same engine it was a pig, foul plugs and hard starting when cold.
    However skip the gas unit, and go with an electric motor, like smith or Downeasterner. They are reliable, cheap to rebuild, or to keep a spare. Quiet, and they dont care what the temp is.
    I also have had good luck with Honda, excpet the 13hp horizontal engine. Nothing but blown head gaskets and mufflers vibrating off.
    Dino

11. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Honda Cost

I used the $450-$600 because that is what we are being told the upgrade would cost. Western offers the upgrade to the Honda at $450 dealer cost. Honda is not being very cooperable with selling the 11hp engine. We have tried very hard to put out what we feel our dealers want, some want Briggs and some want Honda. From the manufacturing stand point, volume decides price for us. With this wide range of cost, that is why I want this feedback from you guys who actually use them because not even our dealers really know. This forum gives me a better reality to what the users want and I thank all of you who respond. Sno-Way is new to the V-box industry and what works in the East is not necessarily what the Midwest or West wants. We want to be able to give all the markets a fair priced product and the product they want.

12. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

bryan, nice question.
    i have alot of experience in the small engine repair field, look around at some of the snowblowers of any recent years and none of them are running briggs. tecumseh has been the choice of the manufactures. briggs could not build a motor capable of running decently in the winter...leaky carbs,hard to start when cold. here's the thing.. i was just looking at a snoway spreadator
    st6 v box last friday ,i was very impressed with it until the salesman flipped up the cover to show me the engine. it was a briggs! ah **** i said to myself. if it has to have a gas motor why couln't it have been a tecumseh.
    that is the only real hang up with my purchase of the unit
    really it should be an electric motor.
    when i need to spread salt i what to spread it .not monkey around with the darn motor.
    in the end i will probably purchase the unit by the end of the week, only because i am confident in my abilities to fix it if it does not work. ( if it don't work this winter you can rest assured i will be talkin.. ie. yellin or complaining to you!!)
    i have been a 5yr snoway plow user and don't have any real complaints except of the vehicle frame mount that was not built out of thick enough material and some small welding issues.
    can you give me an idea of this spreaders reputation!
    you asked for input...here is mine
    dan

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

IMO the techumsa engines are no gems either. I had 3 blowers with the 2 cyl snow king and all three were junk, Talk about hard starting and leaking fuel bowls and carbs.
    For my money the honda engine on a blower is a far better choice.
    Of course you have to buy a honda blower to get it, but then you have an all around quality machine.
    Oh and BTW if you are going to build a spreader install a urethane spinner, the metal disks are an insult to proper spread patterns.
    Dino

14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My briggs V-box engine has been flawless.Always starts,dont burn oil,runs great.For the limited times,and # of hours these egines run,I dont see a honda engine as being a big plus,and I love honda's.I bet I only have about 15-25 hrs on my briggs in 2 yrs-at that rate it will rot away before I wear it out.So as long as the briggs will start good in the cold,which mine does,Ill keep the 450 in my pocket,or use it for something that gets more use.If the engine ran for hours on end,in the heat,where an OHV runs much cooler,then I would definetely go with a honda.