1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question from a snow-blowing rookie

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jimaustin, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jimaustin

jimaustin Junior Member
    from Maine

I just bought an Ariens 1332 DLE Pro snowblower, and I'm surprised how hard it is to handle. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds but using it on anything but smooth, paved surfaces is WORK. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised since it's such a bear but I was expecting to spend more time walking behind it and less time wrestling with it. I'm wondering if there's some adjustment I can make to make things go a little smoother. I've fiddled with the skids but haven't solved the problem yet.

I think what's happening is that the skid/runners are dipping down into the little dips on unpaved surfaces (even if they're fairly smooth) and bottoming out. That causes the machine to pull (hard) to one side, or to bounce. If I don't fight it it goes all over the place. Even if I do fight it it's hard to get a nice, straight edge. Anybody else use these things on unplowed surfaces? Any advice?

Jim

2. If you are using the snow blower on unpaved surfaces the skids - on the outside edge of the front blower intake - should be set lower so they keep the scraper bar at the back of the intake ( behind the auger ) from scraping on the ground. This will leave a thin layer of snow on the surface but will save a lot of work for you.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I had never had that problem with my Toro 521 before. Sure they're going to be harder to handle than a lawnmower, but I never had a problem keeping the machine under control. Maybe you're going too fast?

4. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

I have a much smaller snow blower, and it does the same for me. I'm going to take RWK's advice and hopefully that'll clear everything for me.