1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Matt L., Feb 4, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

hi. new member here. I just found this site two days ago and all i can say is wow! I have found all the answers i ever needed to plow repairs that took me days to figure out on my own. my first question. I have a 2004 dodge one ton srw s.b. quad cab. and would like to put either a boss 9' 2" or a blizzard 810 on it. i do have alot of back dragging to do and am aware of smartlock cylinders. I also need to be able to stack the snow fairly high as room is a factor at many jobs around here. also how close are the two plows in hydralic speed. just curious which way you pros think I should go. Thanks again.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm very happy with my boss. The paint alone was my deciding factor to go with them. I had a Blizzard that was 1 year old plowing residentials, shoulda seen the thing rusting. I always wash my plow after every storm and store it inside. MY boss looks brand new after 2 years of commercial use.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

From what I hear, V plows pile snow higher than straight blades, but you might get more height from the 810 with the wings cupped inward to contain more as you're piling. I don't have ANY experience with either, so my thoughts here are only taking up space and don't have much merit!! Good luck

Piling snow is as much talent as it is equipment use. Like with other things, it's not the size, it's how you use it!

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i am not a V person which i have stated and been bashd for befor. i have ran an 8611 on a 2and1/2 ton the cool i know cool isnt the answer ur looking for when it comes to plowing productivity is speed is and well these trucks dont come with central hydro and the 8611 seem to be just as solid as the 1tons and 5tons that do come with cental. so i like blizzard just cause i have seen them. i have never ran a boss so just a waste of space on that subject. i dont intend to ever run one thou

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hey Mat,

Welcome to plowsite:waving:
    How much snow do you have up there?

As for plows get a Boss or maybe a Sno-way;)
    There both lighter and easer to work on than a blizzards are.
    What kind of plow do you currently use?

6. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

boss or blizzard

hey snofarmer thanks for the input.
    I currently have a 91 chev half ton with a 7'6" meyers poly really in rough shape. Im just now getting back into the buisness after a two year leave ( job related.) I used to have a 8' fisher on a 94 ford 3/4 ton reg cab with the 7.3 then went to a F 250 sc long box 5.4 triton with a 8'6" mvp. i used that for 2 seasons before having to run locomotive full time due to employee shortage. But thats all better now.
    As for snow. Nots so good. weve had about 14" all year. we are getting some tonite though.
    thanks again for all your input and the same to everyone else on this site.

7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Good to see another "local" guy. I'm originally from that area. As to your question: It is my opinion that the Boss 9'2" is the way to go. We run one and it will stack piles 3x higher than your truck. And of course a good local dealer/service is a big factor.

8. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

made my decision

advantage; i just made a purchase aggreement with THE05HD on his 08 9'2" power v xt. it comes with smartlocks and the snow flap up top. now all ineed is the snow! were do for a good dump its that time of year when we start getting hit pretty good. im driving to north wisconsin on the 16th this month to pick it up hope to have it installed the following mon.

big thanks to all you pros for the info. made my decision much easyer to make.

9. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

A Boss V-Plow can stack high. However, if u stack too high and put stress on it, after a while the lift cylinder will crap out on you, and your out of business until you get a new one.
    A blizzard is a good plow, however, I would say if your worried about stacking high, get a western, as they have a chain list system (you arnt restricted with hydrolics like a boss, and can stack as high as your heart desires!

10. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

plow

had a western mvp with the unimount didnt care for it. slow hydralics compared to the boss and the hook-up isnt as nice. as for the chain lift i see your point about the stress situation but dont the boss have stops? and i like the idea of have full range of motion while in float for some of the hilly drives on my residentials and then be able to transport to the next job with the blade all the way up to reduce bounce. all without having to adjust chains.this was my reason for considering boss or blizzard. i need to stack high but not so high that i damage the blade. like with my meyers i push to the pile then lift and push into the pile -very little if any ram the pile until the push frame hits. thanks for the input tho.