1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question For you

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cyclone101, Oct 25, 2006.

1. cyclone101

cyclone101 Junior Member

Hello everyone how are we doing?

So I am new to the forum not new to plowing but new to the bz. I work for an airport that does do some plowing not alot we are about mid size. We have a sub plus our rigs. That sub is making good on us so it got me thinking why not. So this will sound stupid but all well. So I have seen the questions posted for how to price and all that (probably not all) but how would a guy get a feeling of what the area except for paying for this service. Is there a web that gives av, Or do you call up the competition and get prices from that?

Thanks for the time and info
    BE SAFE

Cyclone101

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are several ways to get general pricing guidelines besides the one most often touted, which is to figure costs plus a profit margin which will give you a price. That's the best way although, admittedly, it requires some thought and research. Otherwise, you could:

Sub for someone for awhile - this might give you some ideas as to the business end, including pricing.

Consider what you've been paying to have your own driveway plowed - did it seem too high or low?

Contact some other people in the business - while you might see them as competition, that's not always how they see you. I am always open to discussing pricing with anyone local - I see it as an attempt to bring pricing up.

Just go out and take a stab at it. You'll figure out pretty quick if your too high or too low - too high and you won't get anything, too low and you'll get everything. Too high, you can start adjusting downward at any time. Too low, carry through this winter and consider it a learning experience for next year.

3. cyclone101

cyclone101 Junior Member

Thanks for the info- Like you said i am in the research stage I would like to have the ducks in a row and get what I need under my belt and then some before I jump with both feet. Thanks again. By the way this is a great site ALL have done great with it. Alot of info here that could take awhile to get through. Good job on the site and good job with the info.

Cyclone101