1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for you Rock Salt users.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jjmcnace, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I have a few lots that the client wants Ice free or at least slip free during business hours 7AM-7PM. If I spread rock salt after each storm/snow at a rate of 500-600lbs/acre am I going to have problems with their concrete deteriorating or spalling on me?

Anyone spread rock salt after each storm? I can spread sand/salt mix, but that stuff really starts to accumulate after 10-15 events per year.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

5 to 600 lbs. per acre is severely on the light side, and probably wouldn't have much if any effect that would be noticeable. I mean, if you're still going to have ice, it defeats the purpose. You are looking at closer to 900 lbs (of bagged salt) to be effective.
  3. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

So if I apply at a rate of 900lbs/acre, the lot will not re-freeze when the temps fall and the sun goes down? LOL

Will 900lbs of rock salt per acre damage the concrete or does the concrete get damaged from not applying enough salt and causing more freeze-thaw cycles like when the sun goes down and the temps fall?
  4. lmarine

lmarine Member

Try going to liquid cc to reduce salt usage
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Regardless of how much salt is applied, it is still the freeze/thaw cycles that do the majority of the damage. Concrete is porous. As this brine makes it's way down into the concrete, it forms pockets within the pores of the concrete. As temps vary, this the expansion / contraction takes place. This is one of the major fctors to why the chems like potassium, calcium, and magnesium are less harmful on the walks and concrete areas, - because they have lower freeze temeratures, thus reducing the amount of thaw/refreeze cycles.
  6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have lots that we salted more than 30 times last year and there is no sign of any damage. I think as long as the concrete is more than a couple years old you don't have many problems. I do have a black top lot that was layed over fill in a very low area. Every year "holes, and I do mean HOLES" form. I think this has a lot to do with the area being so wet, every time it freezes and then thaws it eats at it a little more.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

unfortuneatly your customer has to make a decision, if he is concerned about slip and falls then he needs to have a deicer applied. there is always a chance that it could speed the process of damage but that should not be the concern, peoples not injuring themselfs on your property is the concern.

apply after every storm, yes. apply when temps are freezing and less than an 1" has fallen -yes. be consistant, if you start deicing, do it, don't just do it when you plow because people will start to become accustomed to a non-slippery parking lot.

The amount you use will depend on temp/moisture. 1 ton per acre +/-.
  8. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Try Liquid Calcium Chloride
  9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

if he is a newbie to salting, i doubt he should get into liquid spray tanks and what not. use rock salt because its simple and is an easy set up, get your feet wet and then experiment with other alternatives.
  10. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Somebody had a link on salt and concrete damage, it was about a couple weeks ago I think. I do not remember where it was.
  11. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I so have 4 pallets of this salt that i am going to use. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=255949
    It is a blended Ice Melter. And I paid approx $6.50 per 50lb bag. I have only used it twice so far this winter, and have applied 500lbs each time on one of my 1 acre lots. Am I not using enough of this in you guys experience. Last night I spread 500lbs surface temp approx 22 deg and pretty windy and dusted the pavement with snow. The surface did get slick during the night after the sun went down.

I can't find bulk rock salt here in Iowa at a reasonable price $175-200 per ton. Which is not much cheaper that the bagged Miracle Melt I have.