1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for you per hour plowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOW ME OVER, Nov 28, 2005.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

When you are paying a sub or being paid by a customer do you find it is more adventagous to have a 7'6" blade on a F350 or a 8'6' or 9' blade on that same F350. Because you spend more time at each account and make more money off of each account with the smaller blade, but on the other hand you cannot get as many accounts done as fast with the smaller blade as apposed to the bigger blade.

So is it like a catch 22 situation, smaller equals more money per customer or bigger equals more accounts and possibly more money?

Which do you guys do?
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

OK we are per hour and i like it that way we are never in a rush to get a prop done. I tell my drivers never rush it can lead to damage and stress its like a big party for us we are making money and having fun. So you have to find your nitch and work it . I make just the same as a guy with a 10ft blade and less damage to my rigs...I did add wings but that was for clean up work .
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2005

Any other opinions on this subject???
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

For hourly accounts, we bill more per hour for trucks with larger blades or wings. Therefore, I pay my subs more with larger blades. On flat rate accounts we simply get done quicker which allows for more profit. We still bid flat rate accounts as if we are plowing with a 7'6" plow as not everyone has larger plows.
  5. little pat

little pat Member

We base all our bids on plows with 7'6" blades. Subs with larger blades or with wings are compansated since they will do more work in less time. This lets us service more accounts in the same amount of time.
  6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i have a a 7'2'' and im gettin 55 while my cuz has A 8footer on his f250 and he is gettin 65...hes gettin a lil more then me but he gets the same as the guys with the 7'6'' im gettin less b.c i only have a s10 but the guys with the bigger trucks get more b.c they are quicker

That is what I was hoping for and also pushing for. I am getting paid $75 an hour now with a 9' blade for sub work on a medium sized shopping strip. I was trying to get them to pay me more and let me run my pro wings all the time in this lot. I met with one of the guys that I am plowing for yesterday and did a drive through on the lot so he could show me where the shopping center wants the snow piled. I asked him about the wings and he basically told me that if I want to run the wings when it comes time to clean up the trial offs then I can but to slow it down some. Me I would rather get the job done a little quicker so I can get to a couple small lots that I still kept from last year.
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Around here it's generally $10 per foot + bonus + fuel supplement.

I'm at $80 an hour + $3 an hour bonus paid at end of season, + fuel supplement over 89 cents / L

And I'm gaurenteed 100 hours per season, 20 hours a month gaurenteed. I can be paid monthly. Or I can bill at the end of every storm and paid the remainder of the gaurentee at the end of the season (if I'm under).
  9. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Crazymike - don't take me wrong - you're getting paid well, but the Yanks need to remember you if you are in Toronto ON, it works out to about $69.00 US$. With your highier costs there, you have to work hard to make a living.
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

yeah, I wasn't saying we were paid more. Just how, which is generally by the foot. The average seems to be $10.

And ALL companies worth subbing for offer a seasonal gaurentees.

Down here if companies offered seasonal gauruntees they would be cutting their own throts. You can have a great winter every couple of years but then it is kinda slow for one or two or three winters after the great one.
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

We have bum winters here aswell. However, commercial accounts often pay a flat rate for X many pushes wether it snows or not. You have to factor that in.

I would think it would be more important in areas with low snow, or there is no incentive for people to invest.
  13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Anything less than an 8' and you will be running in your own windrows.