1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for you guys that have been doing this awhile

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tattood_1, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I only have a few accounts this year and am looking at subbing for a lawn care business near me when I'm finished with my accounts. They said they pay $65 per hour while plowing. They do not pay drive time to next lot. Their accounts are scattered all over town and I just don't see it paying that well, seems how I pay my gas and giving them drive time. Is this normal practice? The hourly pay is fine, Just think drive time should be paid too.
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I pay all of my guys(personal employees) drive time. From the time they leave the shop till they leave the last lot. Sometimes one or 2 guys will get paid going back to the shop because I will have a few things there for them to do at the end of the storm. With subs I pay "most" of their drive time, but not always. I have different agreements with each sub, to some degree or another.

If you are running all over the place then yes, you should be compensated at least some of your drive time. How are your lots locations in comparison to the lots they are having you do.....why can't you mix your lots in with theirs? How is it that you will ALWAYS do yours, then when your done go work for them? I tell subs what times certain places open and to mix my jobs in with theirs in the most efficient manner for all of us.
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i dont pay drive time, never believed in it. always considered it the cost of going to work.
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

When doing your own jobs, are you getting paid for drive time? Not really. When sub contracting for some one else you cant really expect to be paid inbetween accounts. The guy you are working for is most likely charging his customers a flat rate for the work.

STRONGARM Senior Member

If your getting paid by the Hr, then drive time should be paid. We have sub contracted before and now sub to other guy's and drive time was/is always paid. If he was paying one of his own employees he would pay their travel time.
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

drive time from lot to lot should be paid. if you're out mowing lawns, would you expect to be paid for the time you spend in the truck driving from lawn to lawn? i know i would. you are being paid for your time (not to mention its your truck and your gas). the customers may be charged a flat rate, but what does that have to do with your time? its not your fault the boss has his lots scattered 30 minutes a part (or whatever it is).

i would ask the boss how much time he would expect you to be actually plowing versus the time spent driving from lot to lot. if it 90% plowing, 10% driving, then thats ok i suppose. but if its a 50/50 split then thats total BS.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do you get paid to drive to a regular job?
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

well, now you know why this company is looking for subs in the middle of January.
  9. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Snocrete they told me that they would not need me everytime it snowed, so I told them in that case I want to do my lots first before I start with them. My lots only take me about 1.5 hours (told ya I didn't have many, lol), which if we get enough snow that I think they will use me, I'll just do mine earlier. I just feel my accounts are priority for me since it is direct reflection on me.

It's pretty mixed on who pays and who doesn't. I think I might ask if they will pay 1/2 my gas at least. I know of 2 of the lots they want help on are 15 min apart, then have to shoot over to a apartment complex 20 minutes away. It's quite a bit of drive time just those 3. If they say no, guess I'll just go from there. Thanks for all the input.

Forgot to tell ya I have a 7.5 straight with wings, so I think they are kinda on the low end anyways.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I get paid drive time from job to job. But then most of them are only 5-10 minutes apart.
    Paid to drive to work ?

No. I dont get paid when I leave the house to the first job....
    But from the first lot, until I am done with the last lot, I expect to be paid for that time
    I am using fuel and miles on my vehicle...
  11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We use subs in different ways. We pay our "route subs" travel from when they leave home, through the full route and ending when they're released by their route captain. Site specific subs do not get paid travel.
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do you get paid to drive to a regular job? i do

do i get paid for being a sub? i do and u should be unless your getting paid a fixed price per lot

picture day time, 12in 16hour long storm and u are doing fronts of stores, alsie and entrance and u are running from lot to lot lets say u have plowed 7 hours and had 5 hours of driving before u started your full plow. get were I'm going? would you be happy working damn near half a day wasting gas for half your full plow pay ??? NO.... if you hourly then your hourly
  13. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

sure we ALL get paid travel time to our own plowing, you work it into the price. i think we all do, if you take a contract somewhere inconvient or far away, you make sure you allow for some cost to make the drive, i wouldn't think you would charge as you would if you were plowing, BUT you would definetly allow for at least the fuel, and your time, maybe half your hourly rate or so, JMO. To say that you wouldn't allow him to charge some time to travel from place to place, i would maybe suggest that if it takes you longer then a set time (say 10min) to get from one job to another that you ask them to pay you a small charge, to cover the travel costs, otherwise what's to stop them from giving you the inconvienent far out places, so they can take the closer packed together places for themselves.
  14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I Bill out for 1 hour drive time every shift, and also bill out for time in between jobs. I also pay my other driver/subs drive time as well.

I average my times out...For instance. If I am at a site from 7pm - 10pm, and then drive 8 minutes to get to the next location...I either bill the first site from 7-10:15, or bill the second one from 10pm to whatever.
  15. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Exactly how I am feeling, and in my mind, just makes sense. If my accounts were close to the ones they wanted me to help on for sure, it wouldn't be such a big deal. I could work mine in between theirs. They have me just helping on the big lots. They need to throw me some smaller along the way or something. Thanks guys you have really helped.
  16. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

How do you get away with not paying your employees the drive time back to the shop? They are driving your equipment I am assuming, and i assume you exepect YOUR equipment returned to the shop at the end of the shift, or maybe they could just leave it at the last lot as they are not being paid to bring it back to the shop. Fact is if you are the employer and you tell your employee to do something, they must be paid, like returning to the shop from the last job site. That travel time should be factored into your bidding, and therefore should be paid to the employee as well.
  17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Kind of hard to explain, but you are right and yes I do.
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The ones that don't get paid after leaving the ast job are the ones that "get a lift home" in the end. Many just don't pay employees for that "ride home".