1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for You Boss V Plow guys!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dakotaplowboy, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I am looking at buying a used 8'2" Boss V plow. It has the RT3 hook up. I currently have a Western straight blade. I am curious about the trip feature on the Boss. It seems if you have the plow in any kind of a V configuration the plow will not be able to trip. This year I will be plowing with an 05 Duramax. It seems like the truck with that plow could likely do some real damage. What have you guys experienced. My other thought is to buy a new Northman V Poly plow that has a cutting edge trip design.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My Boss V will trip in every position.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Mine trips too. But when it is in the scoop mode it wont trip forward unless you are stacking, and even then it isn't everytime. Only when you have alot of wet heavy snow (in my experience anyway.) And yes you and do some damage with these plows. I took out a manhole cover last year with mine and never new it until the next day when I got a phone call asking where it was. Also you gotta watch out when you have the thing angled. I have heard that you could bend the a-frame?. They work better than anyother plow out there and you'll love yours. Just take care of it and it will to you.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ahh, the old a V plow does not trip MYTH:dizzy:

1. It will trip in any position you put it in.
    2. As with any plow, if you hit some thing hard enough it will bend or brake.

If it is in the scoop position the wing will bleed back. Just as a straight blade does when you have it angeled and you hit some thing.
    Then it will trip over what you hit.
  5. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Ditto.... It'll trip. Go ahead and buy one... you know ya wanna..
  6. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

It all makes sense now. I have hit things, a fence once with my straight blade angled, and it changed the blades angel before it started to trip. No major damage to the fence or plow thankfully. Thanks for all the info.
  7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Their version of a trip plow is resulting on a valve to bleed, and very fast depending on how hard you hit something. And if you but something ah no big deal.

I dunno but my blastphomy of a snow plow, ya know those Westerns with that "weak chain lift :rolleyes: " have a trip edge that I know will trip and not have to rely that Joe Schmuck at the factory set the valve right in case people at plowsite gave me a false sense of security and end up straightening out my wings after the first storm.

My MVP is guaranteed to trip and always has....wesport
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: I would like to see that guarantee!

Your blastphomy of a plow uses a high pressures-by-pass valve too that is set at the factory by Joe Schmuck.

Boss does not use a hydraulic trip, nether does your western, it is a spring trip that can be adjusted by any Joe Schmuck or Schmo's.

Gillie gee, I dunno......:dizzy:
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:) Sno, I think what Blade was referring to is that a Boss want's to retract the extended wing when an obstacle is hit by forcing the hydraulic relief valve open first, thus letting the wing retract to a more straight position and the whole blade can then trip by spring tension (as you mentioned)
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hey, B&B,

I dunno?

Kind of like a straight blade or any other plow acts when any part is forward of the center line or a straight blade when angled and you catch/hit something.

What happens when you encounter an obstacle with A trip edge that is higher then the trip edge?

:cry: Ouch that hurt!!!!!..........lol
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly :nod: :D
  12. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone knows a Boss V plow won't trip, it doesn't have any down pressure :D

Just ask BNC LOL