1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for wyldman / other chevy professionals

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SCSIndust, Nov 9, 2003.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Quick questions: I have a 87 sub, 350, auto, 4x4. I have the stock diffs in the front & rear. Do I need to use the limited slip additive? One mechanic says yes, one says no??? Also, I just replaced my temp sensor ( thanks to your wisdom - nobody knows the right part # except for you) and it still reads about 155. I replaced the gauge, and put a 180 thermostat. I had dropped the sensor on the cement floor in my garage and it chipped a TINY little piece of that bronze coating from around the tip of it. Would that cause it to read inaccurate? It seems to read fine between cold and about 150 and fine from about 190 and up. (approx #'s) It just reads wierd around that tick mark around 155. Any ideas? Thanks
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Answers to your questions...

1. Do you have a limited slip diff? If you do than you need the additive. A quick way to check is place the truck in park and lift the rear end off the ground leaving both rear wheels with the ability rto free-spin. Grab one wheel and try to spin it. If the opposite wheel spins freely in the opposite direction than you do not have a limited slip, so you do not need friction modifier. If the wheel is very difficult or impossible to spin, you do have limited slip and need friction modifier.

2. the chip in the sensor COULD cause an inaccurate measurement. I would again replace the temp sensor.

Good luck and Cheers,
  3. mrzulu

mrzulu Junior Member
    from florida

sensors are, well, sensitive...

under pressure a slight anomoly in a seal will change readings... replace the chipped part... sensors rely on strict tolerances... math sux...

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

other ideas?

OK, I got a new sensor... still didn't work. I'm really getting flustered. I am thinking about getting one of those a pillar mounts with an aftermarket gauge, but until then, how often do the wires from the senders go bad? I know that sounds dumb, but the wire looks ok. I was considering running a new wire to the gauge to save money right now ( a lot $$ sunk into getting ready for snow) and I am curious if anyone knows if it is one single wire, or does it make stops, junctions, etc? I really want to keep my a pillar open for some other gauges, and would like to keep the stock one in use.... what do you guys think?
  5. mrzulu

mrzulu Junior Member
    from florida

stick to OEM if you can till you figure out what up...
    after market is great if everything is nominal...
    OEM parts should still be available for an 87-350... past that i can't help much...

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You dont need any friction modifier in the front unless some one added a clutch type posi to it but I hightly doubt it. For the rear you should have a open diff or the good old gov loc. A gov lock will be happy with some mobil 1 synthetic 75 90.

Check your glove box sticker for option code g80 if you see it you have the gov lock.

Gov lock wont work like a regular locker or a posi