1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for V-plow Owners/ Users

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DGODGR, Dec 31, 2010.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have recently installed a v-plow on one of my trucks. When plowing subdivision roads, yesterday, I noticed that it tends to leave a trail on the leading edge. When I plowed with my 8' straight blade, I found that I can attack the windrow at about the middle of the plow, and all the snow will go to the right (as intended-left end leading). When I did this with the v-plow I got snow trailing out the left side. Is this something I can expect from a v-plow, maybe because of the hinge protruding out just enough to back up the snow? I also noticed that the snow tends to come over the top of the plow at much slower speeds than the straight blade. I don't mean that the blade is so full that it boils over the top. It's blowing snow that flies over, blocks your view, and builds up at the base of the windshield. Are these traits common to all v-plows?
    BTW my v-plow is a Western 8.5' MVP with Pro Wings (10.5' OA). My straight blade is also a Western, but it's an 8; Pro Plus. Both are equipped with rubber deflectors at the top of the blade. The MVP has the OEM deflector, and the PP has one that I made, but both are rough the same width (sticking out over the plow). In most situations I really like the MVP. I also like to leave my roads very clean, and this trail really bothers me. I also don't like plowing at 15MPH, or less, just to be able to see what I'm doing.
    I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think the hinge will do that
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I dont have any of the problems you mention wuth my Boss V
    add some matreial to your deflector and make less of a "cut" to prevent snow from trailing
  4. 01lariat

01lariat Member

I'm using an older 9.5" MVP this year. It doesn't have add on wings at all.. On mine if the leading blade folds in some will see a small leading edge trail otherwise no problems.

I also have a snow flap on mine. I'm not to impressed by it. I thought it would be better. Seems like I get just as much flying over it as I did with a straight blade without one. Depends on the snow though. Wetter stuff is ok, it's just the light powder that blows up over.

What I find with the V blade is snow likes to pack at the pivot point. I'm going to wax the blade real good before the next storm and see if it rolls off better.

All and all the V blade is perfect for what I need it for. Something like a wideout would work only part of the time for me. A straight blade isn't an option anymore. I'll live with the quirks as they present themselves.
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Main trouble is the hinge and also the V plows have less curl on the moldboard.
  6. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

I have a 2010 8.5 MVP, and don't have that problem.
    I had on 2003 8.5 mvp, and upgraded when I upgraded the truck.
    We also have one 8.5 straight blade, so I can compare the differences.
    When cutting hardpack, sometimes one blade is better than the other, but as far as angling and spillage, it's possible that the straight blade might actually angle a little more than the MVP, but both seem to push snow to the right very well.
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

AS for the snow blowing over onto your windshield? I have a Meyer CP-8 with a snow deflector and it does the same thing. I have been told by others on PS that it's because it is a Poly Plow and a lot slicker than the steel.