1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those with V-Boxes, or bulk salters.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TLS, Dec 16, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Do you all have bulk storage on site or at your house?

Do you all have on site loader/skid steer to load truck with bulk salt?

Or do most just drive to a bulk supply co, and get loaded up.?

Then, what if you get loaded up, and it doesn't snow or get icy. What do you do with a couple ton of bulk salt in your hopper? Won't it get hard if it gets wet? If you off load it, then refer to my second question.

Just all seems like a big investment for all the (what I consider "disadvantages") in this method.

I realize that bulk salt is WAY WAY cheaper than my method of 80lb bags into a tailgate spreader, but when I'm done, I pull a pin and its off.

Please let me know your answers/feelings to the above comments.

Thanks !

2. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

we have a 2 different sites where we have bulk salt stored. we also have a skid loader at each site to load our v-boxes. bulk is the only way to go if you have the resources and a place to store it. if we dont empty the spreader on our last run we just back up to the pile and let it run out, no problem. im sure in the past 4 years since we switched over to bulk and skidloader versus manually hoisting 80 lb bags up onto the spreader, weve paid for the skidloader in the savings of the cost of the salt alone, not to mention my back doesnt get near as sore for some reason:cool: .

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use bulk salt/sand mix, but I suppose it's basically the same idea. I get mine from a supplier about five miles from my house who has a sand pit. He buys salt to mix and stores it in a shed. Then, he'll use his loader as I need some. I have plenty of room for storage, but still don't have a loader. Today, I went up and got a yard in the V-box, used a little of it and storing the rest in my garage loaded in the V-box. I did the same thing last year with no bridging problems, so not worried as long as it stays out of the weather. If you don't have a building to keep it in, you might try covering it with a tarp to keep the snow and rain out.

4. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we run bulk salt piles out of our shop and several of our jobsites. at each location we have a skidsteer or compact tractor. between our subs and our own trucks we run 7+ v boxes and several 2 stage mini spreaders. while one truck stays at the shop overnight we always empty them out into the pile so we don't have any problems with material binding up in the v box.

after a few storms, hopefully you could figure out salt use and buy more accordingly, if you had to travel to your supplier. and if you have alittle storage space, maybe you could just dump the extra out the spreader and towards the end of the season rent a machine when your expecting a big storm and load up your "shop" pile and get rid of it. I say big storm so you could also use the machine on your jobs, if need be.

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I do both. I have salt storage at the shop usualy keep around 15-20 yards on hand at a time, it's usualy all treated. When it's warmer low 30's we'll go to the supplier and get loaded. Always pretreat with treated salt but just dont see the point sometimes. Also cuts down on having to restock the garage.

Most of the time there is a tractor or a skidsteer at the shop, but on occaison something wont start or it's in use somewhere else. Then you have to tough it out. There'a a lot of shovels in a V box and you'll feel it in the morning but with 3 guys or so it doesnt take too long. I WOULDN'T DO IT EVERY TIME!!

I've said it on here before. We fill sandbags with salt for the walks. It's about 50 lbs a bag and if you leave it inside with the bag open they don't get hard. It's the same as having a pallet of bags in the truck just costs less. The bags are reuseable and can be found at any contractor supply place.

If you have a relationship with an equipment dealer they could easily find you a small used skidsteer for about 5000 in decent shape. My delaer had two available this fall, he knew the previous owners and the machines were in good shape, they're fine to run a few hours just loading salt. You'll make the money back over using bags.

Hope something in this post helps
    Casey

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we dont have storage for salt or a loader so after were done plowing we drive over to the supplyer and load 2 tons at a time however many we need and just make shir we use it all during that storm

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we store and load our own,skidsteer and concrete blocks.........we used to buy from another contractor but got to be too much of a hassle with timing and when we could get salt now we have availibility 24/7 and a loader to load at a moments notice .......it shortened out on our response time by about 30 minutes to an hour ...we can be loaded and spreading in about 15 minutes

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well we finally got everything organized for the season. This summer while rebuilding a burnt condo, we rented a 20' storage container. It was great, keeps everything locked and dry. We have since kept one at every large job. Then I got to thinking, basically ground level, and hold alot of material nice and dry. So we now have one at the loading yard, with material and a skid steer to load the truck. Works great, and only runs 60.00 a month, and 40' can be had for 80.00 a month, and they can be bought for between 1000.00 and 1500.00 if you want to own one.
    Dino

9. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

Dino,
    How much material can you fit in your 20 ft container? I usually keep about 15 tons of salt/sand on hand that I load with an older Bobcat. The problem that I have is keeping it dry. I currently use a heavy duty tarp. If I get one season out of a tarp I'm lucky. I live in the country and it gets very windy and the tarps get torn apart. I've thought of trying canvas tarps but I dot think they will keep the water out.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

The unit has a capacity of 48 cu yards if it was packed tight, but realisticly, I can get 15-20 tons inside and still be able to park the skid steer in it. Just back the skid steer in when you are done, that way getting out is easy.
    Also that tarp gets hard to pull back when you have snow on top of it.
    Dino

11. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We keep on hand at our shop about 50 tons of salt and about 30 tons of sand/salt mix, we use the salt for ourselves and sell the mix to other contractors, we keepa a Ford Tractor at our shop to load the trucks, the loader is usually out plowing snow and the skidsteer is kept at a job site with a pusher to plow it so we have to load with the tractor but it does the job. It is so much cheaper to buy bulk then to either buy with bags or buy from other contractors, so the first chance you get you should try and find a place and a way to keep you own product. Just my two cents

12. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

DINO

That is a great Idea with the container !!!!!!:nod:
    but how do you convince the location where you keep it to allow you to keep it there???????
    Thanks

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Well we got lucky this year, a fellow plowing pal of mine bought a piece of commercial property right in the middle of my route. So we keep the container there, and he can use the skid to load his truck as well, and can use any of the material as he needs.
    However, most large retail properties allow the snow removal contractor an area to stage their equipment in. In that area they usually leave a tarp covered pile of mix. You can see the salt running right our of it by the huge white residue left on the asphlt. I dont think it would be very hard to convince the owners or property manager that a storage container would be a bad idea. Plus the material and skid are locked up, and pretty secure.
    Dino

14. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I just purchased a 4700 IH with an under tailgate hydraulic spreader & tarp.Truck is kept in an unheated pole barn.Can i get a load of salt & keep it in the truck if we don't use it all? will it still flow & what about my dump body as far as rusting out? thanks...

15. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

Plowking,

How easy/hard is it to load the crate and how is it loading trucks. In and out with bulk. We use them for pallets but never tried bulk. I would think it would be a tight squeeze. Let me know, I might be intrested in trying it myself.

Thanks,
    Brian

16. plowking35

from SE CT

The unit is 8' wide and 8' tall, the skid is 6' wide and only 5' tall, so plenty of room. The loading of the container takes a bit of time, about 1 hr, but no different than loading a bin or shop.
    The skid works great for this application.
    Loading trucks is no different than any other application.
    Dino

17. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

assuming you rent the container,i also assume it is completely enclosed top and all.
    Have you had any concern from the rental company ,about all that salt.

The one i rented for storage of equipment is actually pretty nice inside !

18. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

We bought a 40' container this year. It holds 26 pallets of bagged salt. We have a stacked second row of pallets on top of the 2 bottom rows. This was done with a Bobcat 873. It fits in the container no problem.

Since NJ has so many of these containers at the port, we only paid $1500 for the 40'. The 20' ones are actually more expensive (over 1/2 the price) than the 40' units. We even had it painted our choice of color for that $1500.

We were originally storing bagged product in a rented 53' trailer, but that was $100 a month, and we couldn't stack pallets with the pallet jack. As far as I am concerned, the container has paid for itself already.

Right now we have 20 pallets of bagged product in the container. Once we sell or use 2 more rows, we can park a skid steer in the container.

~Chuck

19. plowking35

from SE CT

1- The rental company has no idea what the unit is used for, and frankly I dont think they care.
    2-Any damage would be from the skid steer itself, not the salt. The salt is dry and covered, so no corrosion would occur from that. The biggest concern would be from the bucket scraping the wood floor.Since we use a urethane edge, that helps with that issue. And as long as we dont hammer the sides with the machine, we should be ok there as well.
    Dino