1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those with experience...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LittleJohn, Nov 1, 2009.

1. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Junior Member

Hello, all.

I’m looking for some help from those with much more experience than I.

I’ve read AT LEAST 40 hours on this site in the past few months and to be honest, I’ve got information overload.

This year is my first year plowing, and I’ll be subbing plowing some parking lots.
    I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 off road edition, and was going to put a Boss Super Duty 7’6” straight blade on it and call it good.

BUT, I just ran across a GREAT deal on a hardly used 2008 Boss 8’2” Poly Power V.

My question is this for those with “real world” experience:

If I install Timbrens and use ballast, can my pick-up handle the weight?

Yeah, I know…ideally I should get a bigger truck. BUT…
    1. it’s paid for and
    2. It’s in incredible shape.

What do you think?

“Help me Obi-wan Plownobie…you’re my only hope.”

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Those Dodge 1500 trannys don't like the heat. It will be front heavy you can beef up the front end but that don't mean you won't have problems with it.
  3. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Grandview.

As far as the transmission goes it has the offroad package. Which means it has the HEMI engine, 3.92 rear axle, a limited slip differential, and a "heavy-duty" cooling system.

IF IT WERE YOURS, and it was paid for, what would you do?

7.5 straight blade or 8.2 poly v?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it was mine 9.2 v plow Boss ,but go for the 8.2 Boss for now.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

The 1500 Ram is a much weaker truck than the 2500 Ram
    brakes, suspension, steering, crappy Chrysler transmission etc

A big heavy plow will kill it in short order.
    It's not just the plow, it's the ballast too
    800+ lbs on the front (way out in front), 500 + lbs in back.

I'd go 7'6" at max.

It's a 15 year old truck, trade it in, buy a 2500 (same year, same basic price)

won't be for long
    Plowing is HARD on trucks
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Its only 5 years old 2004
  7. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I plowed with a 2003 ram 1500 for five years with a fisher 7'6'' ld plow. I don't think I would have put anything bigger than that on it. I spent about 2k on the front end after 3 years but that was the only problem I had with it. I traded it in last year.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd probably stick with the 7.6ft.
    I thought about doing the same thing as you with my 1/2ton chevy but I stuck with a 7.6ft blade. I kinda wish I waited around to find a 7.6ft Boss V though. I've had an 8ft Unimount pro on my truck before (friends plow) and it handled it fine but I wouldn't want to go much heavier then that.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Either look for a Boss 7'6" V if you want a V or just put the 7/2' plow you already have.
  10. Fire Guy

Fire Guy Junior Member

I had a 7.5' Meyer HD on my 2005 1500 Ram, with Timbrens, and plowed with it for 4 years, it handled it fine but I would never have gone any bigger. The truck is just too light for anything bigger IMO. This spring I just got rid of the 1500 for a 2500. I am really looking forward to plowing with it this winter. Whatever you decide to do, good luck this season.
  11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

noooooooo wayy!!! didnt they have problems with the 1st gen dodge trannies? either way theres no place for a vplow on any 1500! stick with a midweight buddy
  12. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

I don know about Boss plows but you could look into a Meyer or a Blizzard. I have an 06 F150 and run a 7.5 ft Meyer with Pro Wings. The Wings add a foot on both sides. They are very light weight so it is just as effective as getting a foot bigger plow but the wings only weight about 30lbs on each side. I found this to be the best option on my 1/2 ton front end.
  13. KrisR

KrisR Member
    from NH

What he said, the only thing I have to add is that truck won't handle plowing a driveway once the snowbanks are established, the wings keep a lot of snow infront of them.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

He's talking about the 3rd gen trucks. I'm not sure what trans is behind a 1st gen 1/2ton anyway but Iirc the auto trans behind the cummins is pretty decent. Sure it's not an ally or torqueshift but for an early 90's trans behind a diesel I think it was pretty strong.

x2 on wings. I run a Western Unimount 7.6ft Pro plow with reinforced Buyers pro wings. My wings have eurathane edges on them instead of rubber. My blade is 9.8ft with the wings on. Makes quick work of open lots and chasing run off trails. My truck pushes it with no problem. I've used my wings in 12-14" storms with no trouble. Just gotta take it easy and watch the trans temp.
  15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I'm not a car/ truck guy. I don't know all that much about them...

Even the 7.6 power V weighs almost 800# with the mount. That's a lot of weight to hang off the front of a 1/2 ton. Personally i would forget the idea of a V plow for your truck. Your out there to make money not look cool.

(side note)
    Isn't the 4x4 off road edition the sport ? The one with an even lighter duty front axle ?
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think 800lbs for the Boss V with the mount is all that much out range when you look at a 7.6ft Commercial duty plow and then put wings on it. I just checked Boss's site and a steel 7.6ft V is 700lbs w/o the mount. I have a unimount so I'm not sure on weight but a Western Ultramount Pro is 682lbs w/o the mount. I don't think the truck will really care about a 30-40lb difference between the plows. Also the Boss is direct lift so it won't bounce going down the road like the westerns or fishers would with the Chain. I personally think he would be fine with the 7.6ft V on an appropriately setup 1/2ton as long as he doesn't run it like an idiot.
  17. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

My brother just retired his dodge 1/2 ton.
    He had a boss 7.5 v on that truck.
    He spent $600 on` suspension upgrades
    before the plow went on, and still spent
    over $4000 in repairs for suspension alone.(last 4 years)
    He also rebuit the trans at only 70,000 miles.($900
    we did the actual swap in and out saved some cash)
    Upgrade your truck, or be prepared for the big
    maint. costs. imo

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you been to the Boss fit guide? If you have the 5.7 liter they do not recommend more then a 7'6" sport duty and suggest 850lbs of ballast. It stands to reason that if you are installing 800+lbs of plow instead of 450lbs of plow you should use closer to 1600lbs of ballast. That is for a reg. cab long bed they have no fit listed for a Quad cab.

How will that truck handle an additional ton of load? Dodge says:nono: to plows on the 1500 to begin with now you are going to try a V blade:dizzy:

If you do try this have a good transmission shop build you a transmission and add timbrens to the front end. Other recommendations would be heavier load rated tires, the numbers of a 24 hour all weather towing company and a back up to handle the rest of your route.
  19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

It wont make much of a difference. Both plows are to heavy for that truck. I know it could hold an 800lbs plow easy. It's just that it will eat ball joints and wheel bearings. I would rather have the lightest plow that will hold up to what I'm using it for. It puts less strain on the truck and in the end requires less repair.

(side note)
    I did the 1/2ton thing with a larger plow when i first started. If i didn't know it all back then, I would have spent less money on a brand new F250 XL then i did on my used 1/2ton after repairs. ( $12,800 for the truck and $11,500+ in repairs over 4 years. )
  20. PPS. inc

PPS. inc Member
    from Earth

Look at some of the lt models. 8' blizzard weights 475 lbs or something like that. crank the springs and add timbriens. should be fine. if your plowing @ 50 mph any plow will turn your truck to trash in one yr. good luck!