1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those with experience.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MarksTLC, Feb 27, 2007.

1. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I'm new to the snow removal arena. I've found that most of the work I have in my locale is driveways. My Dodge is not necessarily the right equipment.

Can you recommend a better ride for me. I think I'm looking for a standard or ext cab truck with the most room for additional weight as well as capable of carrying a 7.5 of larger plow. I suppose the shorter the wheel base the better, but please let me know what you think :confused: or what combo's work for you.

Thanks in advance, Mark
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here we go!

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

xysport I believexysport :salute: :D
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

What's wrong with your current ride? Just curious.

Dodge with Boss V for me!!
  5. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I have a meyers plow that worked fine, but has lost its luster (in my eyes)
    Since I'm looking at a new plow, I thought I'd like to see if maybe there was a better setup available. With the Meyers I had 400 + ballist in the back. This made it less than easy to carry a blower too. Am I crazy in hoping to find a setup that doesn't require ballist?
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're not likely to find any setup where ballast is not recommended. Reason is that any truck is "balanced" as it is. Add a plow and now it's front heavy. So, you need to add ballast to bring it's balance back in line. How much ballast depends only on how heavy the plow is.

My advice is always to use what you've got until you wear it out. MOST plows take a long time until they're plain worn out. Now, if you just want to have a nice, shiny, new rig... (That was me this winter:waving: )
  7. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

AMEN:D :jester:
  8. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. I guess I have sometime to work it out. Maybe just find a system with an easier hookup, for the Ram. Still need to work out the ballist issues. Guess I should weight the blower and take that off the ballist weight.
  9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Before you refit you're rig you should figure out a way to get us some snow worth plowing:) :D .. Depending on what truck you have, you could try 100# sand bags in the bed--they are small and low and cheap at Hollenbachs in Boyertown. Lay them on the floor then cut a piece of plywood to set on top of the sand bags with a 2x4 leg on each corner for support. I'm guessing you use ramps for the snowblower or backup to a snow pile to load it but either way your ramps could set right on top of the plywood. Drve the blower up there and tie'er down to the stake pockets. It works in theory:) :jester: --Right??!!
  10. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Need more snow

I sold the meyers in late december and totally missed the two snow falls we had this "winter". :nono:
    The ballist I was using was in fact sand bags. I had five bags strapped down on the rails for my 5th wheel hitch. Thanks for the idea of the plywood cover. Maybe I'll experiment and see if I can make one out of sheet metal.

Thanks again. Mark
  11. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

For your ballast issue, you may be able to move the spare tire from under the bed to inside it and fabricate ballast in its place and secure it to the frame.
  12. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

How vital/or not, is it that the ballist be over the rear axle.
  13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Not vital.

If you put the weight in back of the rear axle the weight is multiplied by the distance from the axle. I.E. 100 LBS, one foot in back of the axle, would provide 100 Foot/lbs of force on your back axle. 2 feet in back of the rear axle would provide 200 foot/lbs or force and so on.

So pretty much the further back you put the weight, the less weight you need to accomplish the same thing - leveling out the truck.

Once the truck is leveled out as per plow manuf. recomendations. If you want more weight (I DO!!!!!), put it in between the axles.
  14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I see no reason to not use your current truck. Its a 3/4 ton and unless its got a major issue that you haven't mentioned should be pretty much ideal for starting out...the only caveat is that maybe you think its too big since you're loking mostly at residential?

Go to the classified section here and see if anyone is selling a complete plow that will fit and go look in your locak classified ads too, barring that go to the websites of the major plow manufacturers listed at the top of every page of this website and see what they all recommend for your truck, they will also list ballast recommendations. Most of them seem to recommend an 8' plow for 3/4 ton trucks, so putting a 7.5 on there ought to be a piece of cake.

For ballast I use 400# of ice melter stacked up against the tailgate. Works well for me, but I probably ought to step up to 500-600# at some point to even it out just a bit more. You could also consider buying a sander for your truck if you're serious about doing this for money...that might get you enough ballast too.
  15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You said Dodge.... so you have at the very least a Dakota and maybe a Ram. Mid-sized pickups do great for driveways, and many use them commercially on smaller lots too. Sounds like it does the job & makes you money. Sure you can get something new, but you can go with what works for a while. When you begin to question if it will perform, then trade it. Heck, keep it for backup if you don't need the trade value and get something you can use more for personal use.
  16. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Thanks much for your insight and advice. I've got a lot of thinkin' to do.

Again, Thank You! -Mark
  17. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

The only reason I mentioned putting ballast in place of the rear tire was it was under the bed, behind the rear axle and left your bed open for snow thrower and spreader if needed.
  18. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Yep, I got it. Thanks much. I wasn't aware that moving it back increased the affect of the ballist. Makes sense to me...

Thanks, Mark
  19. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

What size driveways are you plowing? My average residental driveway is 150x10 and the Ford Ranger with 6'8" homesteader plow I had worked great. Rember biggger is not always better.
  20. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

110' is the longest. Some have nice big turn-arounds in front of the three car garage, but no one seems to park in the garage anymore. I guess it's packed full of stttufffff.
    Then of course they have the ornamental shrubs, that can't be touched. Piles hav'nt been a problem, just turning around can be difficult. I figured on looking into something with a better turn radius.