1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those who plow in Maine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Averysdad, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

I was considering doing some residential driveways to make some extra money this winter (hopefully to recoup the cost of the plow) and I was wondering if I would be required to get "commercial" license plates even if it is not my main source of income and my truck is not a heavy duty or 1 ton?

I've searched around and didn't see any answers about this anywhere.

Thanks

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My Brother Lived and Plowed in Maine and never did that. Can't see it being different there than anyplace else in the states.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm from Maine and have been plowing for six winters. Yes, you need Commercial Vehicle and General Liability insurance if you plow for compensation. Vehicle insurance is required by law. Commercial Vehicle insurance is required by the insurance company. General Liability insurance is required by common sense.

As far as the plates, for a half ton you will register the same as now but pay by the load you expect to have. For a 3/4 ton, you will have Commercial plates. Contact your licensing division.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  4. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

well that I wasnt questioning....I was just asking if I needed to re-register my truck with "Commercial" license plates or if the regular passenger type I have now are fine.

5. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

sorry just realized you edited your response.....thanks for the help.

BTW....what insurance carrier do you use Mick?.......I've looked at a few but I was just curious who you thought had a good price and was a quality company as well.

Thanks

6. Mick

from Maine

GL was Middlesex, but it's all through Vermont Mutual now.

7. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

My insurance company told me that I dont need commercial insurance unless I am plowing commercial business accounts. I only do residentail driveways. They said that I am covered by my standard insurance even with the plow on it for residentail plowing. And, you dont have to have commercial plates. Why should you? I run a 2500HD with a 7.6' plow and nobody has ever bothered me about it. Thats my 2 cents.
    g

Portland, Maine.

8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

You should have commercial plates so you can park in the alley behind Gritty's.

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

FMS has the right idea!!!!:drinkup: :drinkup: . Commercial plates depends on a couple things. In Portland if you have a 3/4 ton or larger you have to regisater it as a commercial vehicle, if its smaller its up to you if you want to. It doesn't cost anymore to register it as a commercial and you can park anywhere there is "commercial parking" only which comes in handy in Portland!!!!

10. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Correction, I live in south portland where you dont need commercial plates. And I'm not convinced that you need them in Portland with a 3/4 ton truck. I see 3/4 ton trucks all over Portland every day with no commercial plates.
    g

11. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Yes, but you dont need them to park behind Platnum plus.:dizzy:

12. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Might be right on the 3/4 ton but with a one ton its true.

13. Mick

from Maine

14. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Yessuh, it's a little known law here in Maine, if the truck's GVW is high enough, you need to register it as commercial. And for those of you guys who think you're okay cuz you have a half ton, think again. Do you haul a camper? Do you haul a boat? You're supposed to have commercial plates. Why? Because the GVWR (your truck and trailer) is above the 9000lbs +/-. I have this posted in my office (I work as a loan officer by day in a credit union). I heard about it, and heard of a guy that was stopped for it, but I have never been. My trailer is registered as commercial, I figger it's good enough for me :)

15. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

16. LB Landscaping

from Maine

17. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I stick my head out the sunroof, and where goggles. :)

New GLoucester

18. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Plow looks a little small, but I guess it'll get the job done if you have to :)

I'm in Nawth Yahhhmawth.