1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those plowing driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Enforcer, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I bought a Ford F250 with a 7 1/2 Meyer plow. Currently, it has no skid shoes on it. I'm worried about the plow scratching up the driveways, but if I put shoes on it, will it scrape the driveway clean? This is my first year using a plow, so I'm not sure how this will work. Thanks!

2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Personally I have never ran shoes and I have never had a complaint about scratching driveways

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Ok, thank you much!

Also, any tips for plowing driveways anybody? I've only used a snowblower on driveways before.

4. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Don't hit the garage doors.:nod:

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends on the drive.
    Backdrag and then push it into the yard.

6. dchr

dchr Senior Member

:laughing:Good one!

7. Deco

Deco Senior Member

1) take your shoes off

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

All my blades have a backdrag blade on them, does a better job of backdragging.

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I don't run shoes, Like they said it depends on the driveways, go up to the garage door without hitting it, drop the plow, put it in reverse then pull back, if you have to move the snow a long way in reverse, you will do a better job if you pulled back then turned around the pushed the snow towards the end of the drive. Yup.

10. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Plow barefoot. Don't need shoes unless you get out to shovel the walks.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I never run shoes, besides if they are steel shoes they could just as easily scratch up a driveway....if you are concerned about scratching driveways, you may look into putting urethane cutting edges on the plow, or rubber...but I prefer urethane over rubber. If doing alot of driveways, backdrag edges and pull plows definitely increase production and are well worth the investment.

12. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I run plows with and without. Cant tell the difference 99% of the time. Only time I even mess with them is when I get gravel plows. Then I drop them down a hair. The ones that have shoes arent even set to touch the ground. The ones that dont have shoes do tend to wear the outer edges faster though. No issues with scratching though. I must have to agree that hitting garage doors in the early AM is never good.

13. hydro_37

from iowa

For the times you bump a door.....carry a little rubbing compound and a towel
    Marks come right off (experience talking)lol

14. shovelracer

15. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

In my residential contracts, i state that im not responsible for marks or scratches on driveway. then even if it does scratch your covered, i cant run shoes on my plow so i have no choice but have never had a complaint abot scratches

16. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

No shoes No problems.

17. shovelracer

It is very important to have a definition of reasonable wear and tear. This of course doesnt apply if you rip up a section of pavement or break a curb.

18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

shoes? You talking about those big heavy metal things that they put on the bottom of new plows?
    Pretty good for holding doors open, or holding down tarps.

19. hydro_37

from iowa

20. chefracer15

chefracer15 Junior Member

Stay Away from the grass!!! If need be mark the edges with something so you stay plenty far away. These plows tear out sod better than a sod cutter.:salute: