1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those in the know...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MOWBIZZ, Sep 26, 2007.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hi guys,
    I have an opportunity to do some contract plowing work for another landscaper for 20-25 of his residentials (driveways)
    He is offering me a 60 % cut of his accounts that are all in a 2 neighboring town area. If he averages $1000 per storm I would be making $600 for doing the work. Let me add that these towns are in my direct vicinity. Anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
    Personally I would rather it be 75%/25% as he is doing nothing but collecting the money but then again, it's work....
    Let me know what you think.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Is it using your own equipment or using his?

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Good question...

Sorry, that would be a biggie...using my stuff...2004 F250 and a Sno Way 8 ft 29
  4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I would say atleast 70%. I do it as my own business no helpers. But I would atleast pay 70%

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I was thinking that...

Myself...Haven't talked in person with this guy yet, but he seems very protective of his accounts. At first he wanted to sell all 20-25 plowing accounts lock, stock, and barrel for $1000. Now he's hedging about someone "moving in" on his landscape accounts, and changing his ad to use a contractor instead. I think they would have been a good deal at $1000 flat (i own them) but like I said, he's changing his tune...we'll see...
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

His costumers owe you nothing, they contracted with him not you.
    I bet there are no contracts for the snow removal any-way.

I hired xyz to plow my drive.
    then Mr. plow, plows it and sends me a bill. I do not pay Mr plow because I did not hire him.
    How do I know if Mr. plow has INS.?
    Maybe I would not hire Mr.plow?

Be careful buying accounts you can get burned....
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You wouldn't "own them" unless he has them contracted for many years, which i very much doubt. Essentially you would be buying a list of names and phone-numers.

If you spent $1,000 on advertising you'd have more customers than you could handle.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Good answers...

Well, I've talked further with him and it's definitely, going to be a contractor situation. At this point I am looking for the work so I believe I will contract for him while building my own clientele. Yes...$1000 would go far in advertising! Damn 2 line ad in the local rag is about $250 for a 2 week run!!