1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for they GMC and Chevy Guys?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hello everyone, I have always been a die hard Ford guy. But I am looking at this 1988 GMC 2500, auto,4x4, 8 foot fisher plow. The truck has a new GM creat motor and a rebuilt transmission. All that work was done about 2 years ago. There is not much rust or rot on this truck for an 1988. I wanted to know if there are any bad things that I should avoid on this truck and were there any bad things that went wrong with this year. Also can I convert it from the auto locking hubs to manual locking hubs for the 4x4. THANKS.:) :salute:
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

First, there is no way that I know of to put manual hubs on the IFS axle. Exactly how beat is this rig?? You should look under/inside the cab on the floor for rot or no floor at all. Does this person have proof of having an engine and trans put into it?? They could be pulling your leg. Also, if it has a bed liner, pick it up and check to see how the bed floor is. Finally, check the frame rails. Knock with a hammer or something in different spots. If there is a shower of rust and no holes or cracks. It should be decent. If the frame is paper thin, run away. Also check it for any other repairs, welds, etc. Im not sure of any major problems these trucks had, but who knows.
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know much about the 88-98 GM trucks, but from what I have heard and seen, the frames have a tendency to rust out, like Sydenstricker said check the frame to see if it is solid or patched anywhere.

I have an uncle that has a 92 Sierra 1500 4x4, and he had to replace the frame from behind the cab on back because it had broke in a couple places, the truck was low milage. I have seen other 88-98 trucks were the frames have been patched in different places as well.
  4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

I assume this is the 88-up body style with the independent front suspension. Not only can you not get manual hubs, there are no "hubs" of any kind. The axle shaft is splined directly into the front hub, just like the axles on most FWD cars. There's nothing that can be disconnected. The engagement is done at the differential using an electric actuator. The two axle shafts spin all the time with the tires, but the pass side axle is disconnected just before the spider gears in the front diff. This lets the pass side axle spin by itself. Without that axle connected, the driver's side axle turns the spider gears, which just freewheel inside the front diff carrier. The ring gear does not turn under this condition, so the front driveshaft isn't spinning either.
  5. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Commen problems ive had and seen are cab corners and wheel wells rotting, 4wd actuator, trannys last about 80k. Never have heard of frame problems or seen. These trucks also like to eat front brake pads and dont stop very well.
  6. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

I am going to look at it soon by the end of the week but what I can see from the pictures the truck is pretty decent. And he does has the paper work for the tranny and the motor. There is on pic that really got my attention was that the bed is not bolted down to the frame of the truck and the frame looks kind of thin. NO were as thick as my 1985 F-250. So this whole deal is riding on the frame if the frame is no good I don't want to be bother with it. THANKS
  7. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

the two major problems i had with my '94 was cab corners and front wheel wells. i have never heard of these trucks having frame problems. Also, something to keep in mind, GM trucks have thinner frames than fords.
  8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I had an 88 it was a tank-- sold it last winter- after 15 years of plowing--was a stick and 3.90 gears-- problems with actuator--only replaced one in it and no cab corner problem only door hinge problem. orig motor and clutch and we had some serious snow back in the mid 90's-- good luck let us know if you picked it up!