1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the Western Plow Guys

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by skorum03, Dec 12, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Someone give me an idea of what to do here. My new to me 8ft western straight blade ultra mount with the flostat hydro system was not very responsive and having some trouble lifting these past few days. Brought it to my buddies shop, his plow was doing the same thing, he took the reservoir off and cleaned it out and the filter too, and now his works great. Figured mine was having the same issue.

Start taking the hydro lines off and then the reservoir. The first reservoir bolt I start loosening shears itself off. I left it at that. We drained the fluid and put new stuff back in. The fluid that came out was pretty clean. Not at the point it was worth changing.

What do you guys think the problem is? Is my filter iced up making my plow unresponsive. The motor has power and the solenoid is nearly brand new. Show I try to get the reservoir off still. I don't want to mess something else up by shearing off more of those rusty little bolts.

Thanks for any input

2. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Kind of a silly question but are you using the proper Western Fluid. I have heard of guys using transmission fluid in the western plows.

If so I would say that you should try and get other bolt out, and clean reservoir of really good, and replace the filter.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might have garbage in the filter. Filter might be off in the pump.
    I know its a toss up but do you
    A) run it as is which isn't the way its supposta be
    B) fix it and deal with the headaches in a nice heated shop while no snow is flying and your not under the gun

4. skorum03

I don't have the western fluid unit but I do have snow plow low temp hydro fluid in it. It's red. Didn't look slushy. The plow is new to me as of a week ago.

5. dieselss

Red? That's usually trans fluid.
    Might not matter if fluid is slushy, still could have clogged filter

6. skorum03

It's not tarns fluid. I know what trans fluid is. It's hydro fluid for a snow plows from the plow supplies section at fleet farm. I think the filter must be clogged.

7. dieselss

Ok. I never get my fluid from them so I do not know. I'm looking for some pics if a clogged filter that I had awhile back

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I love farm&fleet, love a good working plow to. Its only a matter of time before a leak starts.... break the other bolts and replace what needs to be done. Pull the motor and bring to a machine shop if you cant tap the studs out. It as simple as that.

9. skorum03

You're probably right. Thats what I am going to do. Other problem is that since this plow is new to me, I;m still finding out everything thats wrong with it. Well we took it off the truck yesterday and now this morning to try re mounting it to move it into the garage I'm realizing that the truck side mount is bent a little and I can't get the plow to go back on. No wonder It wouldn't just slide right out.

10. 1olddogtwo

Check the pivot pins, willing to bet there jacked up. Those will cause you plenty of problems.

11. skorum03

Can you explain further...?

12. dieselss

I did a thread on this with pics. Search pivot pins and it'll come up

13. 1olddogtwo

Yes, there are three points, one allows the plow to lean left and right. Its the bolt with two nuts. The other two PINS allow the plow up and down. Those two seize up. With the plow off the truck, push the headset forward, remove the chains. The headset should move FREELY. It should want to fall forward or backwards easily. Willing to bet it won't.

14. dieselss

How is the truckside bent?

15. skorum03

I'm sure its from the jackass that owned the truck before me. I bought the truck for the truck, not the plow. But I am plowing snow this year so it needs to get fixed. Going in to this winter season i was looking at buying a new plow for my current truck but then found this truck for a good price so i snagged it.

I will search pivot points

16. dieselss

All the junk I found when I pulled the canister off

IMAG0597.jpg

IMAG0596.jpg

17. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

When I bought my plow it had AW 32 Hydro oil in it. Not good when its cold (thick, slow etc). I called my western dealer and they said replace it with what they have (30 miles away) or just use dexron 3 tranny fluid. So thats what I did. Its not good for -50* but we dont get that cold around here. Not to hijack thread but is this a bad idea? Cause I already did it...

18. Drconstruction

Drconstruction Junior Member

Western used to spec atf in the manuals and all literature. The blue low temp fluid is a relatively recent change. It is still the best (blue), especially in really cold temps. I have had atf gel on me in the cold. I have been told by a Western trained GM mechanic to use a couple ounces of gasline antifreeze (Heet) and then fill with blue fluid. I flush and fill this way every season, use brake cleaner to clean out the housing, and change or clean the filter screen. No problems with fluid now..

19. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I had one bolt shear off on my old ultramount. The bolt threads into aluminum, so drill it out for the right size easy-out, a little heat on the aluminum and it came right out. Depending on what year the ultramount is the filter may not have the metal bracket on it to hold it to the pump. My dad fell off and it would still angle but lifting was really slow because it was sucking air as well as fluid. You won't know what the canister looks like until you pull it off. When you have it off make sure there is a magnet in there, if not when you put it back together put one in there. My western dealer recommends tranny fluid as well. That is all I have ever run in my plows.

20. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I know what "not freely" is. Lol