1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the pros

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mkatrucking, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

This may be a stupid question but here it goes.... We use roughly 100ton of rock salt per year. We were thinking on mixing sand with the rock salt so the salt lasts longer. Is the stupid or not? Never used sand before. Any input would be great!

2. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

We mix concrete sand with salt .. just about everyone out this way uses a mix.

3. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

What ratio do you use. Salt vs. sand?

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think sand is a waste of time. the purpose of spreading salt, at least for me, is to maintain bare pavement which requires a certain amount of salt. Mixing in sand is just watering down the salt. When you figure the cost of sand, trucking it to your pile, mixing it with salt, trucking it to the job and spreading it, then cleaning it back up it is certainly no longer cheap. The only time sand make sense to me is if it a gravel road then lime chips works much better.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sand is a waste if you want bare pavement, if you just want traction and don't care about hardpack then sand is for you. Most salt treated sand is mixed between 5-20%.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We use 30% salt to 70% sand.

7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Why would you want to sell sand if you can sell salt? I use only salt like crete and jd said because that is what works best. I also don't want pay to sweep the lot in the spring.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What do your contracts state ? If you use sand plan on increased house keeping costs for your clients, power roding sewers, and then in the spring sweeping and trucking away the mess you made in these lots. Many out east love sand, they also own sweepers and trucks to haul it all away. They get paid to spread it and sweep it up and haul it away. In the big picture it costs the client more then properly treating the pavement with rock salt.
    If your looking to stretch your salt supply start looking at liquids.

For gravel lots and roads it works, just dont use a heavy mix of salt. You dont want to burn the frost off or you will end up with a mess.