1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the pro's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by robo01, Jan 1, 2008.

1. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

I was using that quickmatch for a western what does the ballast mean?
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

its the counter weight used to offset the weight of the plow on front , u put the ballast as far back as u can between the rear axle and tailgate
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ballast is how much weight in the bed. Some guys go buy what the dealer says and some guys put about the same weight in the bed as what the plow weighs. I have about 700-800lbs in the bed of my truck for a 7.6ft western pro w/ wings.
  4. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

so it said i needed 500 pounds but i carry that around in icemelt anyways so would that do? and what are timberns or how ever you say them?
  5. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

ok i just did some research on the timbrens and i have a question. Are they a very strong rubber and how do they help your truck from saggin dont understand.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

what do you do if you use all your melt then? I would keep some extra ballast weight separate from your melt that you use throughout your day.

From the website:
    Timbren hollow rubber springs are mounted between the truck frame and the axle. They do not take the place of the existing leaf spring, but work in conjunction with it, to improve the ride of your truck and to protect springs against overloading.

Timbren Ride Control products enhance a vehicle's empty ride quality, while providing protection against overloading, road shock, bottoming out, sway and broken springs. Timbren Front axle kits prevent front end nose diving. Together, these features provide a smooth, level ride, even with heavy loads.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have timbrens and I love them..even with the plow off.