1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the pro's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by higgs2ca, Dec 4, 2007.

1. higgs2ca

higgs2ca Member

I would like to get some opinions about keeping the shoes on my blade or take them off.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated Thanks.....:drinkup:

2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

lose 'em...

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

toss em sell them on ebay i sold a pair on there someone will use them

4. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

if memory serves me correctly every other time this thread comes up 99% of people will say toss them and a guy by the name of jay brown will say to send them to him he uses them. i dont. ive plowed for about 6 years. ive taken them of off all of my plows.

5. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I've never used them.

6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Use them for ring toss....

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

keep em if you have any gravel drives

8. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

they make awesome paper weights

9. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

never use them, i don't even think i have any for my western

10. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

They are holding down the tarp on my salt pile.

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I have 3 or 4 brand new pairs somewhere. A real snow plow guy dosent need them :):)

- Maybe if you did all stone lots they would be nice.

12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I had mine on the plow when I was plowing gravel driveways but as soon as the ice an snow coated the driveway, I took them off. Not to mention, you can't back drag with them on. I suppose you could keep them there if you adjusted them way up out of the way. But why go to the trouble. By the time you need them next year when the ground isn't frozen, you will have figured out how to plow without them.

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Cutting edges are intended to wear in place of the trip edge, so why not scrape as close as the edge will allow? Shoes just take up shelf space in my shop, but whatever -- they'll make good window weights or something!

14. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I have never used them but alot of local subs that plow for the Towns use them especially when you have alot of manhole covers sticking up.

The first time I ever plowed (literally 10 minutes into plowing) I was in this parking lot and a sewer mahole was sticking up about 2". I was in my old Ramcharger and hit this at least 15 mph... It stopped me dead in tracks... After my scared sh#$less reaction I got out of my truck to check it out... My right stock meyer plow light actually tore right of the frame from the force and was hangin my the wires... That is why I always carry duct tape... It held for 3 years and probably is still ike that today with its current owner... Now to avoid this I always bring an aerial photo from maps.live or google earth with me and mark out all raised frames and cover for manholes on the map so I can be prepared and lift plow first...

15. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

i use them in deep snow for the first pass or to keep things loose. imo the whole weight of the plow rests on the shoes and it tends not to trip as easy .try it