1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the pro's?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cooters Dodge, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I've got a snow removal bid to send into a large complex that includes condos and town homes. This is a pretty large complex. I would think there would be anyway to give a fixed price. I know you don't have much info? Would you come up with an hourly figure and how would you charge for sidewalks on a separate bid? Would be using trucks and skidloaders. What do you all charge for each? I charge $125 for skidloader and getting ready to mount plow on truck so unsure there what to charge hourly. I don't mind coming down on price because I'd really like to get it because I would have the inside tract on getting the lawn & landscape service. I don't mind coming down on snow price because we don't really get alot of snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE HAVE TO TURN BID IN IN A FEW DAYS!

2. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Help pretty pretty please! Se that was nice.

3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I charge per hour
    $85 to $95 for 1 ton mason dumps with 8 1/2 plow
    $75 to $85 pickup with plow
    $125. for skid steer
    $30. for shoveler
    $45. for snow blower

all billing charged in full hours so a 1 hour and 10 mins is billed at 2 hours

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Its easy to say you charge say $100 per hour. The hard part is knowing HOW many hours a job is going to take. Thats where expierence comes in. All of my accounts are a flat rate to plow, most clients will not give you a blank check by paying you by the hour. They want a definate cost.

5. cc2004

cc2004 Member

Everyone does this different.We charge by the hour for our commercials.
    If that's the way your going to do it.Figure what you need for each piece of equipment per hour and total it.

Sidewalks,we charge 75cents per ft.i have to admit i'm high when it comes to sidewalks but,we get them. This is for sidewalk crews,atv's,salt.

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

You have to know one thing about condos, they pain in ass. They will call you after the storm, because some idiot will come home from vacation, and expect you to clean the ice that is in his parking spot. Or the person that comes and visits. He cleans the snow off his car. Some one slip and fall on it then try to sue you. There is no snow on the property but the snow the visitor brought in on their car. Both happen to me. Make sure you make money on it they have no loyalty. I was under bid on one on the maintenance and snowplowing by $ 50,000.00 to a company that uses illegal labor.

7. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Turfmower how large was the complex? And you said something about maintanace, what do you mean, lawn maintenance to ?

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

It had 30 buildings with 739 units. It was on 35 acres. Maintenance was mowing full fertilization weed and insect control bed maintenance and mulching, tree and shrub pruning.

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Condos suck LOL... charege them a bunch because the are the worst customers from my point of view. They want the most for the least and the call backs are a killer they ***** about every thing even if a stone is in the wrong spot. :waving:

10. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Thanks for the replies that helps!

11. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Drive the place at 8 MPH and multiply by 4, the usual number of passes. Then calculate how long and how many bodies it will take to do the walks.

Run up the number by about 30%, because, as others have noted, this is a PITA project.

Then add deicing chemicals.

Depending where you are, and how much falls, how often, you could make out on a per-push basis. Otherwise do it based on time and materials.

Be careful about adding this to an existing client list, because it will take some time.