1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the mechanics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by peteo1, Nov 30, 2013.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 03 ram 2500 hemi engine and its starting to smell like rotten eggs. I'm figuring its time for a new catalytic converter. I was debating putting a cat back dual exhaust on it as well but not sure if its worth it. As much as I'd like to eliminate the cat I should probably keep it legal for inspection. Any suggestions on what cat to buy since I don't know too much about exhaust work. I've seen universal kits, California kits and just plain dodge kits with no model specificity. I just don't want to buy something that's going to have a bad effect on my truck. Any ideas on the dual exhaust are appreciated too. Thanks in advance
  2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put it on a scanner and check o2 sensor readings....sounds like its running rich and a bad sensor will do that
  3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I second this idea. Cats don't go bad unless it's something is causing it to go bad (example to much unburned fuel).
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll try that this week. I should also mentioned it has had a slight decrease in fuel economy as well. Being its a hemi the fuel mileage is horrible anyways so whatever I can do to make it better I'm willing to do