1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the guys plowing with excursions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by skorum03, Nov 4, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Hey fellas,

Got a question for ya. I have a 2000 ford excursion 6.8L v10. I bought it from my dad last summer when my little lawn care and landscape business started to grow because it can easily pull a skidsteer unlike my half ton silverado which I use for just pulling around the mowers. The excursion has 200,000 miles on it and is in good shape, hasn't been abused, or driven hard, or pulled anything besides a small boat and occasionally a skid. The truck has been in the family its whole life, dad bought it new in 2000.

I want to put a plow on it. Now I have looked online and seen the ford excursion plow thread on this site but what I want to know is if you guys that have put plows on your X have done anything special to the suspension, or could recommend a plow that seems to work the best on an excursion.

Thanks for the help.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You ask a very broad question...... Type of work (resi's, roads, small/med/large parking lot) would be nice to know.
    Something to look it is what local dealer support do you have, do they offer after hours service/parts during storms, etc....

3. skorum03

I figured I'd left out some crucial info..... Residentials. Not interested in commercial at this point. I've done commercial with a company I used to work for and would much rather plow for my current lawn care customers so i have less risk of losing them in the spring. I have western, snow way, hinkiker, and boss deals all within 15-20 minutes of where I live... Twin Cities area.

Thanks,

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well the x is basically a 250. So ballast in the back. If you really wanted to, you could get the xcode front springs or coil over shocks. I would add backup lights if it was me.

5. skorum03

Ok thanks for the advice. So any mount that fits the f250 super duty should work?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes you are correct.

I'd do a 8ft straight blade full trip, never been around Snow Way but the others you mention are all good. Hiniker offers a "C" plow which is great for pulling back from a garage door, etc, it's more money but don't know how much. Here's video:
    http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/movies/cplow.html

7. skorum03

I've looked at those. They are sweet. A little out of my price range right now though unfortunately.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

A guy local to me did a straight 7.5' Fisher X-blade with his. His arrangement is funky. He also uses a fisher head gear to hold a Hansen snowblower on the front, so basically he has two setups (one for light snow, one for heavy snow).

9. skorum03

At this point I'd prefer to keep it as non "funky" as possible haha but that thanks for the info!

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think it would be slick to have a Fisher Xtreme V 8'6" on there, if it's an F250 front end. That said, I don't do a lot of work on equipment & rely on local dealer support (and we have plenty of Fisher help available around here!). Does kinda depend on what you have available out there

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever u buy, a 8ft is the smallest you'll want for the wheelbase.

12. skorum03

yeah 8ft is what Ive been looking at. It seems as if it has the front end of an f250 it would handle a V or something bigger than an 8ft if you added some suspension support to the front.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

With the right package, a XLS or a WO

14. skorum03

What do you mean XLS or WO?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

15. dieselss

Western wide out or fisher xls. Or ill add in blizzard 8-10

16. skorum03

Those wide outs look sweet. Any experience with them?

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

17. dieselss

We have 3 w.o. and 5 predd blizzards. Ummmm. If used properly( cough pat) they are super productive!!

18. skorum03

What is the most unproductive way to use one? Obviously I'm just looking to get into residential removal so I don't really have a huge use for one but I could definitely see any time in a parking lot having one would be great.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you're wanting to do your LC customer's a XLS, WO or Blizzard X would be overkill and a waste of money.

20. skorum03

Yes I know. None of those are even close to being in the budget this year.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com