1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for the ford men

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chev4life, Oct 4, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

my friend was wondering if it is possible to put a 351 cleveland into a 82 5L mustang with a 4 speed and possibly put the 5L fuel injection on to it. thnx for the help.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The Cleveland into a Fox body has been done, but it's difficult. Unless you're drag racing, a 351W would be a better choice. You'll have a hard time adapting the F/I to the Cleveland, I doubt there's a manifold available.

The Cleveland was specifically designed for high RPM power and torque, it's not a great engine for street use. The 351W is practically a bolt in, some modification of the accessory mounts will be required, but the bell housing is the same. The W can also be built more streetable with a lean towards high performance to give you a more versatile powerplant. The Lightning pickups had an F/I system you could use too.

Anything is possible with unlimited funds, but the W would be my choice, in fact is a project I've had in mind for a while.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like Pelican said,go with a 351 W if you want the extra cubes.Even a regular 5.0L will put out lots of power with a few mods,and they are a dime a dozen.
  4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Chev i would scrap the clevland all together its wider across from head to head i doubt there is any intake set up for fi like pelican said. My play toy is a 87 GT convert i pulled the stock 5.0 out and bought a complete GT40 5.0 from ford motorsports 3295.00 for the complete long block with tin and another 2k for the intake bigger inject, fuel pump,computer , engine is right around 375hp alot of frame prep for a fox body as well you have to tie the frame together so i guess my project got out of hand all said and done i have about 7500.00 into mods she runs like theres no tomarrow however looking back the stock 5.0 was ok