1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the farmers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Sep 3, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I've got a question for the farmers on this forum.....the trucks you use to haul snow, are they registered as commercial, or do they have farm plates?

Also, do you have a CDL to run it, or just class D license?

I ask because I work full time for a farmer, and have access to his trucks if I need to haul snow in the winter, but before I talk to him about it and set up pricing etc etc, I want to know what others do. All resi now, but commercial plans in the future.

2. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

Check with DMV in your state.

In NY, for instance, Farm plates only allow for 25mile radius of travel - a little more for a landfill or recycle. Ag plates allow for full state travel, hard to find actual specs on this, this is what I'm told from DMV. I take it as a "lighter duty" Commercial plate. They seem to push the full com. plate. To which the truck has more regs governing it and a higher price $$$.

Your Ins. may have as much to say, check the details ... or just stick with plowing a few of the neighbor farms. Who, of course, need their longer driveways opened for truck pickup/deliveries (like milk truck for those inquiring)

I understand that CDL is required when weight is over 26k (or thereabouts) or air brakes are used. That said, the local officials like to see it for those who drive loaded trucks a lot. You may not be bothered when drivers are going from the field to farm during harvest season. Snow plowing is not harvest season for the farmer. ... if it is, a lot of people would like to know how :)

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I have a CDL, so thats not a problem. And techically you do not need to have a CDL to operate any vehicle for farm use. As long as you have a Class D license that is valid, you can drive a truck year round for a farmer.

I'm just concerned about if I'll get any crap from police or DOT if I'm using a truck registered for a farm for commercial use. JD Dave, what do you do?

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

And air brakes are NOT a CDL requirement

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Not for farm purposes, no. But if you drive a dump truck with air brakes you need to have a class B with air brake endorsement.

6. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

You can do it with farm plates, and red fuel for that matter. Just don't get caught doing either.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Wrong.

There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement.

if you actually have a CDL you should know this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. cretebaby

Farm exemption from CDL only applies to farm products (grain, machinery, logs, supplies, etc) being hauled from, or to, the farm by the farmer (or his help).

Snow is not a farm product.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

there is Air Brake restrictions.....sorry I had too

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

in ny there is

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

farm plates in ny is for between properties....we have an ag commercial plate for hauling to markets and other purposes...reg rate is 50% of normal commercial

12. cretebaby

No, there isn't. :nono:

But if your going to insist please tell us what letter represents an "air brake" endorsement in NY?

13. 1olddogtwo

I thought today was non-cdl sunday....their is a brake test, more then one in NY.

14. cretebaby

A test don't make it an endorsement.

There are lots of tests but few endorsements.

15. 1olddogtwo

Don't you know when someone agrees with ya....I never say there was one.

16. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

I do not know what is involved in OH or other states. NC DMV is much more aggressive than others. You are required to have a class -B- or -A- CDL to drive a truck with air brakes. At least on road, off road or some farm use, as discussed above, no -- but they like to see that the drivers have one.

I do not currently have a CDL, yet drove some bigger trucks for a quarry and ag use. After being pulled over a couple of times - to check weights - I was told by the DMV police (NC had them at the time, separate from State), DMV office and some truckers, the info posted above. The company looked at getting a larger truck in the fleet (and a cdl for myself) but soon dropped that idea since no one else would legally be allowed to drive it

I've heard similar in NY -- Remember, we have Albany and NYC to deal with in our borders... Buffalo & Rochester too ;)

Back to the original question -- if you are on some back road, go for it. If you plan on taking the trucks all over the county to haul snow then you better go for the commercial regs.

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I have a class A, so I can drive whatever legally. But I was told if I got a Class B, if I drove a dump with air brakes, I'd have to get an Air Brake Endorsement, I never really looked into it, since I Only planned on getting the A.

18. cretebaby

Stop being a maroon and look up your state CDL and "air brake" license regualtions. You can start here.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv500c.pdf

This has good info to if you open your eyes and actually look at and read what it is saying.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/ncdlc.htm

Air brakes DO NOT require a CDL. Period. This is nationwide and has nothing to do with NY individually. There is no endorsement as it's a restriction.

Your argument doesn't make a lick of sense as even if air brakes did require an endorsement then you could still get it with a class C CDL.

You were told wrong.

Class A, B, and C CDL can all be had with or without an air brake restriction.

It seams to be a common misconception that class A's automatically come with air brakes but A's are no different then B's and C's when it comes to brakes. I understand the root of many of the CDL misconception but i don't get where this one comes from.

19. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

OK I stand corrected on a couple of things.

"Stop being a maroon and look up your state CDL and "air brake" license regualtions. You can start here."

-- First off, If you are going to insult me, at least spell it correctly. It is 'moron', not 'maroon'. Typo aside, maroon is a color. :)

-- I was talking about North Carolina. They are more aggressive, at least recently they were as it has been a few years since I was there. All your links were to NY. Perhaps what should have been said was GVW over 26k AND with air brakes. The NY link doesn't mention that.

-- NC does give tickets for any trailer weight over 10k, even if the total wt is under 26k. I'm speaking from experience and the DMV backed it up. The NY link allows for trailer wt to be over 10k. However, if the 2nd vehicle is stamped at a certain wt, that evidently takes precedence.

-- Back to the air brakes, The info I was given at the time stated that a Commercial vehicle over the limit of a C license and had air brakes needed a B. If that isn't exactly true, I don't doubt it

-- Some triva, NC was one a few states that allowed the Sr. High School students (17 or 18yrs old) to drive a small school bus (usually a van). This was usually in more remote, low population areas. They could ONLY drive to and from school. Mention it now and people go ballistic... I see the age requirement for school bus is above 21 now

{btw... I know this is Plowsite. That company was one of only a few that actually did snow removal in NC. Even though the roads were all but empty, due to slush or ice, we were out in force cleaning mid-size lots and a couple of residential communities. Of course some would trigger at a snowflake, where here people don't get out for less than 3" (not counting schools) }

20. cretebaby

:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs

Why? Is it illeagal to tow any trailer over 10k? :laughing:

A commercial vehicle over the limits of a class C needs a class B (or A). That is true but it has nothing to do with what type of brakes it has.