1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the experts

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by highridge, Nov 18, 2010.

1. highridge

highridge Member

Hello all,
    I work for an insulation company and we run about 20, 14-24' box trucks(see pic). We've been thinking lately of adding some type of strobe lights for extra security when the trucks are being loaded and unloaded on the road at dawn and dusk. So far I'm leaning towards 4 TIR-3 leds mounted in each upper corner of the box. This will cost around $200 for the LEDs then I will also need switches. Also, if you have any suggestions for another type of product let me know suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Derek

[​IMG]

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would mount them low. About eye sight when you are sitting in a vehical. They don't do much when then are mounted up high. Thats why fire trucks have lights top to bottom.

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I'd put them on the side rails...1/2 way up and then close to the floor of the box on the rail. I'd check into Tir 6's rather than 3's unless you don't have much room.

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

depending on the tail lights you have you can also order stock location lights that when a switch is flipped they triple flash like a t3...they will be LED lights...no drilling or holes to patch l8tr...

5. highridge

highridge Member

Interesting. What about the clearance lights up high? They are all LED is there a way to make them flash and still be clearance lights while driving?

6. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

mount a whelen linz6 on each side and call it a day. Very bright and minimal install

7. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Derek,
    I'd be happy to take a ride down there, if you want. I'm only 15 minutes away.

8. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I would say you're on the right path with the forward and rear of the truck the area you want coverage. The TIR3s are great lights as are many of the other similar lights available. All have a few light differences not to mention price and light output. If you put them on the front I would suggest the cab and not the box, however depending on the door in the rear you might have to go towards the top or if theres room the sides of the door.