1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the Canadians

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gardenpro, Oct 25, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro Junior Member
    from WA

I assume we have different brands and possibly formulations than the US, can anyone reccomend salt or de-icer available, and if there are some to stay clear of that would be good to know too. Thanks.
  2. Im useing safe t salt... getting it from a local windsor factory supply, Im plowing there lot in exchange for salt,,,
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Basically rock salt is just that rock salt, there are different retailers, and the only difference in the product is some is more refined, it's usually pure white. As for de-icers liquid like Magic-0 is made in Canada and shipped south of the border. I'm not sure if Caliber is made up here or not. The Pacific Northwest States Consortium, which I beleive BC has signed on to, has setup requirements for cholride based melters, as to corrosion effect, and cholride reduction, I don't know if it's law yet, or guidelines only, but you might want to check with your Ministry of Enviroment, as to what they require.