1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question For Subbing Myself Out...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOWBIZZ, Nov 6, 2007.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Just got asked if I want to sub for a company that has a lot for a new supermarket. My connection says it pays $62/hour. What is the general rule for showing up to plow where there are multiple trucks plowing as well...is there usually a "boss" for that lot that gives you a section to plow, etc? I guess I'm asking "who coordinates this kind of setup"?

I haven't accepted the job yet because I want to look at the lot to see what kind of job it would be. I suppose I'll be given a set of instructions before any events take place, so this question will most likely be answered at acceptance time...

Oh yeah...I'm newbie to commercial plowing.
    I have a 2004 F250 Super Duty with a Snoway 29 series.

From what I have seen here the hourly rate is on par with what some are saying but well under what others are saying.
    Your thoughts?
  2. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

doesnt sound bad .if you are new to big lots then i would go for it.and see if you get a minimum of hours too.also if they have a pay scale for more experience or performance
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

wh have similar accounts and the way we are setup is that for every 20 or so guys there is one lead. they all report to him who is also out in the field who then reports to the office if they need salt or help. The lead will be on one of the properties but for instance, it starts snowing, Ill call you and tell you to go to such location and to start opening up isles with the other trucks. If you dont hear from me then you start plowing the lot clean. I may ask that when you are done opening up isles to go and open up another locations isles and so on. We always have the same group of trucks together and after the first few events you learn each others styles and begin to work as a team. One guy might always open up the back while 3 others work as a team clearing the lot while another guy might open up all the entrances or tuck the snow up to the curb lines.

Im sure this will all be explained to you but it gets pretty fun and youll get the hang of it. Big open lots are pretty easy and fun, especially at night cause you can get some speed and really make the snow fly!
  4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a decent opportunity. Just make sure you have all the insurances, plates, truck lettering, etc. that are required in your area.

Ask when you get paid. It might not be for a while after a storm, like maybe a month.
    Keep good records. Where you plowed, what times you were there, who else was there, how much snow was there, etc. Anything you can think of, write it down. It might help you if there is ever a dispute over getting paid.

Good Luck
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hear read this,

If there is a BOSS you are an employee.

A sub-contractor is told where to plow not how to plow.

Hear it is right from the horses mouth..

Pay attion to how you are paid... just read the whold site it could save your butt.
  6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

If there is a BOSS you are an employee.

A sub-contractor is told where to plow not how to plow.

I dont care what that says. If you want paid or even get hired than you might as well go along with the mans plan. If it doesnt work than work elsewhere.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Make yourself up some plow log sheets. Use the table function in a word processor program. Have a space for date,location,start time, end time, amount of snow and drifting.
    Have them on a clip board in the truck ready to go. Log your fuel,oil and repairs and keep receipts in a file for tax time.At the end of the month you might make up an invoice with the total hours worked and paper clip it to your stack of logs. This way you have it totaled up and keep track of your pay vers hours worked. Find out how they track your time.Some pay you from start to finish even the time between locations. Some just when you are plowing on location.Keep reading on this site. There is a lot of information here. Use the search function on the gray line above. Some questions are beat to death every year over and over.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Misery loves company:rolleyes: :dizzy:

It only takes a phone call to the IRS or your states job service to get you an audit they just love to catch guys playing around with tax law, employment laws, Workman's comp and SS...;)

Do what ever you want it's a free country. :waving:
  9. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Not to hijack and I could just call my accountant but I am hiring a sub this year so to speak. I am having a friend of mines company do a commercial for me. They will invoice my company, and be paid.....eventually. :)

Question: Will I have to issue a 1099?
  10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

ur supposed to but whos gonna know lol
  11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Dont for get about Worker's Comp.

If you hire a sub and they do not have workers comp. If you get aduit by WC you will have to pay for his WC.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Did you read the IRS link in my post above?
    I guess not:dizzy:
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You should issue a 1099 to subcontractors. A good book keeper will do this. You don't want to pay the sub's taxes. You would have nothing but a canceled check to account for money.
  14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

these are some of the benefits of hiring subs instead of employees. less overhead. you can hand them a 1099 and not pay comp, ss, etc.
    i dont know why anyone wouldnt want to follow through on it they are good things.