1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Skid Steer users

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoPlower, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I'm seriously thinking about using Skid Steers in a couple townhome complexes next season. I'm currently using trucks, but the turning, stacking, narrow roads etc. is really a pain in the a**. My questions are if I purchased a diesel Skid Steer, is it a necessity to plug in the engine block heater? The two sites they would be parked at have no access to a power source. Another question I have is how do the gas Skids do plowing? I would like to buy a gas engine Skid, I just don't know if it's a smart idea.
    Thanks for any help

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Never plug in mine and it always starts right up. Big problem I see with the gas skid steers is they are generally smaller machines, equals less weight, equals less snow you can push.

3. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for the info kimber, another question I had was how the maintenance and general reliability of a Skid Steer compared to trucks you've owned.
    Thanks

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I plug mine in just so that it warms up quicker, but otherwise it starts fine.

5. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Most I believe have glow plug warmers. Mine 763 does and starts right up on the coldest of days!

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

AFAIK, its been yrs since a gas powered SS has been made..?..and regardless, as someone else mentioned, most gassers are light/low powered machines....on top of that, the few gas SS's I've ever been around sound obnoxious as hell...I don't think customers would be to fond of it...

Comparably, SS's are much more reliable & easier/inexpensive to maintain than a truck.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

This is sort of tongue n check but have you ever tried to start a gas lawn mower in the dead of winter? .I had 2 friends who bought gas versions with Wisconsin engines and they were always having issues starting in the cold
    Steve

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Depends how cold it gets. I would feel better if it was plugged in. You'll be way happier with skid steers. Who's making gas skids?

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I've had a lot of older and newer rentall machines and
    It's hit and miss. S185s have always worked no problem
    A300 with keyless kicks out after it rolls over a few times and doesn't fire. However same machine with key will allow guy to crank it more and it will fire. S750 has had fuel filter issues a lot. Water in fuel warning.

Additive in the fuel is key

I have had this problem lately;
    Machine starts fine. We work it and temp gets really cold.
    It goes to bed warm and the windchill kicks in. The machine "sweats" and it frozen and iced up pretty bad

No hydro but we have fired a generator and plugged it I for a bit. Longest hour you have ever waited. The other trick is hose on the exhaust of truck to engine bay of machine for a bit. That's extreme

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Mine will start in any temp,bought a block heater and never installed it.Even my old bobcat 743 would start in very cold temps,just had to hold the key in glowplug preheat for about 90 seconds!used to count to 90 before I would try to start it.In my opinion any piece of equipment is more reliable than any truck.My skid is 15 years old now and it sits around and always starts and runs with minimal basic maintenance.Forget gas powered,you're looking at a dinosaur!

11. ChicagoPlower

Thanks for the info guys, it really helps never having owned one . You're right about the gas engines. I did some quick research and it looks like only some small 90's models were available in gas. Now comes the countless hours of figuring out which brand, size, hour amount is going to fit my budget of something used in the mid teens. I actually like it.
    As far as the plow, watching video of the Kage setup is pretty awesome.. can't wait.

12. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I picked up a couple of Kage's this year. Pretty happy with them for the most part. I'd recommend minimum of a 70hp machine. Cycling the glow plugs works pretty well. You could also try a solar battery charger so that the battery is always charged and you have maximum battery power when trying to start it. I also use lighter weight oil for the winter. As a fail safe, keep a length of dryer vent hose and a tarp with you. If you need to warm up the engine you can run the hose from you're truck exhaust into the engine compartment and throw the tarp over it to hold in the heat like a previous poster suggested.

13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Echoing everyone here ive never plugged mine in. Never had a problem starting it in the teens. They will crush a pickup in terms of reliability. Change fluids and filters, batterys, grease them. Tires. Thats it. No ball joint, u joints, springs etc. the only downside is comfort. I like to let my guys run them for 24 hrs, illstay in the pickup

14. ChicagoPlower

Even if a used machine is in excellent condition with impeccable maintenance records, is there a ballpark amount of hours that you guys wouldn't feel comfortable with.
    Once again, thanks for all the great info

15. leigh

from CT

My 1999 has 1900 hrs.I'm always on the lookout ,1000hr machine max for me.These little machines aren't like loaders,2500hrs and up,starting to show their age.And never buy a machine that's been painted!

16. ChicagoPlower

I think I might be pushin my budget closer to 20k. I would love to buy a new one, but using it exclusively for snow removal makes tough to justify the cost. It looks like I'm gonna be doing alot of driving to look at solid units, there's just not that many out there. Oh well

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I disagree, there are tons of low hr machines. Check dealership inventory and machinery trader. I would recommend a Bobcat S185, you can find a nice one for 20k.

18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Hours don't scare me. The application and maintenance in that application does.

I'd much rather have a 5000 hour machine that's been on a dairy farm its whole life and smells like cow ****, than a 2500 hour demo machine that looks nice but all the mechanics have been beat to **** with a hammer and scrap bucket.

With that being said, look into leasing. We have 2 Cat 242D's that we pay 349 a month for up to 500 hours a year. Can't own one for that.

19. leigh

from CT

20. NLMCT

NLMCT Senior Member
    from CT