1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Salt Dogg owners

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PLC1985, Jan 25, 2014.

1. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

On my 1500 poly salt dogg I've been having some trouble getting material to flow. I use 2 suppliers. One straight salt a little damp other is magic salt also damp to borderline wet. Problem is not jamming in hopper or auger but where the little bit of an angle is dropping to chute. Took me an hour other day to salt a lot tht should take 20 mins. Hafta get out and remove chute and tip upside down or shake the crap out. Sometimes clipping curbs w rear tire turning shakes it enough. So I know I could cut the plastic back an inch so as to not have so much surface area to catch on but it'll drop back further on spinner and I hate to cut it up. Thinking I could add a small 80 lb vibrator like tailgate units run as the 200 lb vibrator on hopper doesn't transfer enough force to the chute area to do the job. I've run very dry powdery material no prob but my closest suppliers are damp. I know u hafta stay away from wet stuff but this stuff I run isn't wet in my book. Worked fine up till now w the same material. What's your thoughts on vibrator idea. Should keep it moving down the chutes angle I would think.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wet is wet

3. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Ehh i don't know. I know it's not a top rated spreader but kinda crazy to me that it won't spread this stuff. I'm fine w modifying it but I won't be replacing it or my vendor over it. I'm just looking to see if there's something I'm missing here. There's a difference between damp and soaked an this stuff isn't that wet.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

No not really.

We run salt that's outdoor under a cover. Slightly damp no issues. Moisture is a salt piles enemy

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Where are your baffles set

6. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Are you running the same spreader? My baffles are about 1.5" - 2" open both of them. Salt is stored outdoors also under a large hoop house no rain or snow gets in its on paved floor. Slightly damp also but maybe more damp then yours. To me it's not that bad and I've seen some that I would refuse. To me this isn't material to refuse

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Check your auger tray for material build up

We run both at 2 inches open.

We have 3 2000s

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We have to pull the chute of ours after each use and pressure wash or this happens every 20 feet. This seems to help overall but it still gets clogged from time to time. Still haven't figured out a permanent fix just yet. Been thinking of trying a piece of flashing in hopes that the salt won't stick as easily to that part of the chute.

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

What about something like fluid film or wd40?

Are through are aluminum. I think they all are

10. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Whiffy I believe your 2000s don't have the same design as the 1500. Judging by photos I saw of mathewg 2000 on here the salt drops straight down to the spinner like on most vbox spreaders. On the 1500 there is a almost 45 degree angled chute for about 10 inches from where salt drops to where it drops on the spreader and this is where the material is getting hung up.
    Kimber. I think flashing will be a cheap fix to try first. Thank you. I usually have time to clean between events which helps but like ya say ya can't get far once it starts hanging up. I sprayed w a wd40 type of silicone this morning may be out tonight to see I that helps first. I'd prefer not to cut drill or modify to extensively if I don't have to

11. kimber750

Our chutes are plastic. The plastic has texture to it that the salt likes to stick to.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

How old are they?

From what I understood 1500-2000 are exactly the same except for capacity.

The 2250 has a bunch of upgrades. As well as a higher price

13. kimber750

Luckily I am not driving a truck with a spreader on it. But my helper has a sphe 1500 on the truck he is using and this is an ongoing problem for us but I had to train him on it. Feel bad for him at times. :laughing:

14. kimber750

2-3 years old.

ChuteAssembly.gif

15. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Mine was purchased November 2013. So like 2 mos of use. Bout 20 ton so far and problems about 4 out of 20. They are almost identical but the reason the 2000 holds more capacity than the 1500 is it extends out the back more then the 1500. Not lengthwise overall but where your auger motor is located under the poly hopper from looking at the back the 1500 actually sticks out the back about 10". I will try and get some pics of mine later when I'm on computer not cell phone

16. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

When looking at kimbers photo. At #1 on diagram is the top of the angle that jams. On the 2000 I believe it just drops straight down to spinner

17. kimber750

My plan, one of these days, is to cut a piece of flashing the width of the chute and just bend the top of flashing to hook on the top of the chute. This way if it doesn't work I have put any holes in the chute. If it does work a few rivets should be plenty to hold it permanently.

18. PLC1985

PLC1985 Member

Sounds like a good plan to me I'm gonna go this route first. Thanks

19. kimber750

Let me know how it works. Maybe it will motivate me. :mechanic:

20. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I have a salt dogg spreader in the beginning of the season and it was junk. It never worked and always had problems. I bought a western spreader in December and it works great.