1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for residential contract guys.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RLawnCare, Dec 13, 2015.

1. RLawnCare

RLawnCare Junior Member

The only way I do business is with a weekly service fee prepaid billed monthly. Now here in MN its supposed to be a light winter... we've had snow but its gone. heck I've seen guys doing fall cleanups. No issues with current customers.
    Last week I went to give 2 estimates (neighbors) one signed up. The other said well we don't have any snow in the forecast so i'll wait to sign up until its supposed to snow. That's a new one for me. And it technically screws up the Law of Averages... however if you twist the situation and say they both weren't being proactive and waited to reach out to me until snow was in the forecast then id be non the wiser...

How would you handle it when she calls back?
    Smile and say sure?(whats a couple of bucks)
    Say i'm full? (I wonder if this is a clue to a high maintenance game player.
    That was Decembers quote for the season and now it went up? (based on the law of averages)

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry,I was waiting for you close out my route.I will hold the spot till Monday and ,after that you'll need to find someone else. And its still full price.
  3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I'm still quoting full price to anyone. I won't give a prorated price until we actually get substantial snow. For all I care we can still get our 100 average inches. I won't be surprised if we get hammered halfway through January and into February
  4. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Everything is based on a full season at this point... It's like insurance, there if you need it
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I don't do much residential, but I only do prepaid seasonal for resi. I don't care if they July 1st or February 2nd, the price is the price. Not my fault they waited to call me, especially if they think they will save a few dollars by waiting.
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I don't play with the nickel or dimers. I learned a long time ago that it's not worth my time or effort. Go pay or play with the lowballers and tell me how it turns out later.
  7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You do not discount the seasonal rate just because we are in Dec.

Two main reasons why you do not do this.

You discount it now, next year they will wait till. Dec to hire you expecting a discount because you gave them a discount this year in Dec and they will expect the same thing next year.

Seasonal is based on average snowfall for the season, not the months of the season.

Look at last year as a good example of why you would should not give a discount based on months.

We got a 3 foot blizzard in Jan.

Then we got another 3 feet of the snow that fell in Feb and March.

If you based your seasonal on snow fall and then gave a discount because it's Dec.

You would have lost money.

You explain to the lady or any other client, price is based on average snow fall not the months.

Unless you are being asked in the middle of Feb after half the snow fall total has fallen, then you can give them a discount.

I would call her back and say I am finalizing my routes and if you want a spot you need to sign up now otherwise I can not guarantee you one.
    And if she doesn't sign up and calls you back, tell her NO.
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Or tell her twice the price, cash only. They get the point then.
  9. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons Junior Member

hes trying to make money, not purposely lose out

if hes proactive and tells her that his route is almost full and she needs to decide (full price, no discount for waiting till the snow starts), hes giving her a clear choice, if hes going to be a dick, shed sooner find someone else, wouldnt you?
  10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I'd tell her the same price when she calls. If she complains, tell her to go fly a kite. Not worth the aggravation.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I thought prices went up for late signers?
  12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

They do for me, I don't do cheap people, especially late cheap people without a good reason.
  13. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Yup yup.:nod: No reason to give discounts to someone trying to game the system.
  14. MichiganMark

MichiganMark Junior Member

I had not heard of it done that way....learnin' stuff all the time.

Totally understand your predicament....it would be an easy stop, seeing how you've got the neighbor....and you want stops like that!

Have you thought about adding a time limit to your quote? Or something to the effect of adding a line (or a separate addendum) like this to your contract..

"Quotes after December 1st are valid if agreed to and paid for within 2 business days of the quote being issued. In the event that the above quoted customer requests service after the 48 hour period, they may be subject to an additional fee of $______ for the 1st plowing service."

This way you've spelled it out for those folks that are getting quotes late in the season, and you can CYA by filling in a dollar amount as a "first plow sur-charge".