1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for per push guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Dec 9, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

my per push contracts (residential mostly) are for up to 5 inches of snow. Last night we had over 6 inches in some areas. Even though I plowed them only once should I bill them for 2 visits to make up for the added time to clear the drives and walks?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Did you actually plow them twice??? No. You really can't charge them for two trips now can you???
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

5 inch trigger?

We do not take any jobs that have over a 2 inch trigger. A 6 inch heavy wet snow is hard on equipment and takes a long time. There is more money to be made on 2 inch snow plowing than 6 inch. The best jobs are the "if the lot is white turn it black". That is your bread and butter.

4. bcf

bcf Senior Member

If it snows over my cutoff, I charge 1.5x the price to push once.
  5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

My triggers are set at 2 inches and tell the customers I will plow no more than 5 inches at a time. For smaller storms, I will wait till the storm is over. After 5 inchs multiple visits may be needed with the customer being billed each time and they understand this. I should have made 2 visits but did not, my mistake. I was just curious as if I should bill them as if for 2 visits since it did take longer to clear. I thought I read here somewhere that is what some do. Thanks for the replies.
  6. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

You kind of did that to yourself. Why don't you just give different prices for different snowfalls. Set up triggers like 6" , 12" & 12+. And set up prices for each one. This way if it snows 7" you can charge a higher amount and get it done with one trip. Just a thought.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't charge them twice! As you state above you should have plowed twice but didn't, you can't charge them for what you didn't do or what you should have done that's unethical!
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, why would you even ask such a dumb question. Sure go ahead and charge them for two visits... If you want to lose the account. :rolleyes:
  9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

And just how much longer does it take to push 6" vs 5"??????? :rolleyes: It may take me longer to push 12" vs 3", but it is not going to take any longer for 6" vs 5". I also doubt vry much that you or your truck is going to feel the difference between 5 & 6 inches.

Why would anyone even ask a question about charging them twice when they were only plowed once? :rolleyes:
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

couldn;t say it better myself. Why is your trigger so high?I go out with the locality- norm is 3 inches. If I don;t get there before there's 6 inches it's MY fault, not theirs. I charge for each plowing, period.
  11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think if you bill them for two visits and they know you only showed up once you may end up losing customers out of the deal.I would just bill for one plow and learn from your mistake this time.You will make up for it on the next storm.
  12. mps

mps Junior Member

You can only charge them what you said you were going to charge them. if you were to vague thats your fault. We charge several different ways the most popular is by the inch fall. eg. 1-4 inches, then 4-8 inches and 8- 12 inches and finally 12 inches plus is only by the hour. my contract people will be plowed every 4-6 inches and will be billed for each plow until snowfall has ended. and they are aware of this. We have had some of the same customers for 20 + years. communication is job 1
  13. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

cmon now,,,,this is too nit picky,,,next u will be measuring the moisture content, and charging them based on that!!