1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for next year

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 7, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ok, next year ill be 16 and was planning on plowing but have been told not to because of insurance and stuff. What do you think, and is there any way to get insurance? Ive been plowing since i was 8 so i know what im doing.

Suggestions please, the truck im getting has a plow already on it just to let you know. I was hoping this was going to be my last year snowblowing but maybe it won't be? Suggestions would be great, thanks
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Ask your parents if they are prepared to lose their house when (not if but when) you hit something operating with no insurance and that should be your answer.
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Im only 20 as of right now (21 in March) and during the summer I run 2 crews (one in maintinance & one in installation). During the winter I have 2 trucks out plowing and salting. The only way you will make some good money is commercial and for that you NEED commercial insurance. A good way to start is with driveways such as I did, then slowly work your way into small commercial then the bigger stuff. But dont get the insurance until you definately need it and use it all year round. So dont get down if your first year or two in plowing isnt as good as you like it will be. Just get good customer references and everything will work out. It just takes time.

Ken - New Look Landscaping
  4. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Do you have liability for your lawn company? If so and your insurance company is like mine, the truck goes under the company policy and it doesn't matter about your age or driving record, their should be a flat rate for how many people or employees might drive the truck. If nnnnot and you can get the accounts I would consider subing out the plowing, just make sure they are insured, you could do the walks and salt. That way you are establishing yourself and making more money. JMO