1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Neige, Blowerman, JDDave or anyone else

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ry_rock, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Hi Fella's
    I am new to the tractor blower set up this will be my first year running this way. My question is do any of you oil or under coat your tractors?

If there is any other important information you can think of or feel like sharing I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes we undercoat everything we own that goes out in the winter. We raise the hoods and get anythng metal around the rad, grill. Also get as much as you can underneath. Remember the harder the place is to get to the more it needs undercoated. We use Fluid Film but Rust Check Krown or even motor oil will be better then nothing. Just spray everything that is metal. Also do your locks and hinges as well as the bottom of your door jams.

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree tractors seem to be worse as they have alot of nooks and crannys around the cab and such where salt can get trapped and start chewin.

4. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

JD Dave. What do you use to spray the Fluid Film. We have had trouble finding something that will properly spray bulk Fluid Film.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bought this gun at Napa. You need a gun that's under pressure not suction. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=50483

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The gun I bought was called a Shot's gun. It sprays a crude amount but covers very well.

7. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 Schutz guns and they work well for equipment where it's easy to get at but the gun Napa sellls is pressurized and comes with a wand. you'll never use a Schutz gun again. Anyone wanting a rust proofing gun for Fluid Film or what ever, the one I use is on sale at Napa for $79.99 Part #65320. Mine is close to 10 years old and still works great.

9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Dave is dead on about the locks & hinges... Ignore those and you might find yourself locked out of the machine at 1:00a.m.
    Others might find it odd, but I use a 2 gallon pump sprayer for applying diesel fuel. Anything is better than nothing. Even then I still get rust and corrosion!

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Ditto on what has been said so far. You can never over do it, just costs more in product if you do, equipment rusting costs loads more.

11. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Thanks for all of the informations, ideas and suggestions!!!
    I will post pictures of my equipment over the next week