1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for my boss dxt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowplower1, Dec 18, 2014.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

So i get sick of driving around with my plow on all the time when it's not snowing but i hesitate to take it off much because i feel like using the smarthitch 2 too much will eventually mess it up. So my question is, does anyone know if there is an issue with taking the plow off using the power switch a lot? i would probably want to take it off at least once a week.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

10 years on mine ,no problem yet. Better to use then have it get crusty.
  3. snowplower1

They've had the powered tower system that takes it off itself for 10 years? Ive been doing something wrong...
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Longer then that.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Use the switch. That's what it's there for
  6. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

Why would you be afraid of using the power switch?.. the same electric motor and pump runs when your plowing. It's meant to be used, and using it often won't hurt it any more then using your plow to plow snow. Its not like a old meyer or fisher where you had to kneel in the snow, and water and play / lift the plow in place etc. You paid a ALOT of $ to have a nice Boss with the powered Smart hitch. Enjoy it!!
  7. snowplower1

Going from the tower without the switch to with it was amazing. Trying to put that old one on was something I always hated every year putting that plow on. So i guess it sounds like I'm good to take my plow off fairly often. That'll be nice
  8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I take mine off after every storm. Even if it'll snow again tomorrow. It's so much easier on the truck to drive without the plow.
  9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Dito..... Just wish I had a dolly for it.....
  10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I take mine on and off all the time. There are times I'll connect/disconnect 5-10 times a week. Seeing people driving around with plows when there is no plowing to do drives me crazy. I have even dropped mine at a lot to make a 50 mile round trip then hook it back up.. you won't hurt anything.
  11. snowplower1

Yeah you guys are totally right, i guess i needed to see it from a different view. I was thinking for some reason that it had a different motor and that made me afraid one day it just wont work. but it makes so much sense to keep the plow off especially for the trucks sake but also it takes me less than a minute to take it off and less than 3 if im alone to put it on
    now if were talking my westerns, once those go on for the year, it stays on unless it needs servicing. i absolutely hate putting those things on they all have ultramount and it is supposed to be super easy but there is always some reason it wont go on
  12. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

The stupidity on this site never fails to amaze me. Your probably so use to hearing your mother yell " stop using it so much!!! Your going to wear it out!!!!"

It's ok, nether is going to get worn out. The more you use it the better shape it will be in. For both.
  13. snowplower1

you never know, some things are meant to be used but not in excess. I dont even know why i doubted it at all considering the only other boss plow i have has almost never had a problem. Last year was i think the first breakdown and it was the factory motor that lived for 10 years.
  14. dieselss

What don't you get about the western?
  15. snowplower1

It's not that i don't get them, i understand them completely it's just that it seems like every time i go to put one on there is something that makes it harder than it should be
  16. dieselss

17. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

what, hard to admit that boss has a better system?

to the op, i've never once thought about it putting extra wear on the plow/pump. When there's a chance for snow the plows go on. when we are done and everything is washed up the plows come off, mainly to avoid extra wear on the front end for the trucks sake and because we just washed the plow. Our older power V sticks on the driver side going on/off sometimes, but it still only takes 1-2 minutes to get it on/off, best system on the market. in fact we just ordered another V (xt) today. will soon have nothing but VXT's
  18. dieselss

Easy killer. The answer wasn't even close to.clean as to what the trouble is he is having.
    And fyi...I can pick apart the faults in bosses hitch system no problem. I never admitted anyone's was better or worse.....
  19. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

This is my 40th year plowing snow with numerous trucks. IMO, boss has the finest, easiest, strongest and quickest hitching system on the market today.
    We own numerous DXT Boss plows on pickups and Kabotu Rtv's. IMO, Meyer and a Western plows are not even in the same league !
  20. dieselss

Ok. IMO they don't