1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Lazer- City driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PINEISLAND1, Nov 22, 2000.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I live in a setting where almost all my residentials are country or at least 1 acre parcels off county roads. Not many developments or city situations like I assume you do. However, this week I started doing my Sister's Home, who lives close to a new commercial account. They live on 50 ft. frontage city lots, with only about 30 ft. between houses. When I pulled her drive out, I really didn't know what to do with the snow. Do you push it up their driveway apron onto their terrace, or do you go across the street and onto someone elses? Do you lift it up over the curb onto the terrace? Since the ground isn't frozen, it is really tough! I can find a way to do it, but it sure isn't as quick as you say you are getting them done.

You don't just pull it out into the street and leave it for the city plows, do you?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I know you didnt ask me, but in my work area pushing snow into the street, or across the roadway will earn you a $100 fine. And they are not shy about handing them out as I learned early on :(

3. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

The snow gets pushed back on the terrace next to the driveway entrance like you said.

If the road is NOT plowed, we get maybe 80%+ back up there but if the road IS plowed, we clean it up completely.

4. PINEISLAND1

If you back drag with your rear blade from the garage out, do you then turn the truck around and push up the entrance with your front blade?

I had my Big truck, (3/4 with 8' box, v-plow and rear blade), so it isn't easy getting around.

5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That's exactly right.

Most of our driveway trucks are 115" WB and all have 13" steering wheels with steering nobs which makes that task easier.

Because of the intense amount of steering, we replace front axle joints in every truck every year.

Also many are equipped with rubber scraper edges on the back blades which allow the back of the truck to slide with downpressure. (and a little experience)

I haven't plowed with my new 350 (142"WB) on driveways yet, but I know it's going to be more difficult.

6. PINEISLAND1

So the sliding aspect allows you to spin the truck around in the street without waiting to raise the back blade?

7. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Yeah, kinda makes your truck into a "Zero-turning radius" machine. (With the right driver)

Our trucks have central hydraulic systems that will raise the plows in a 1.25 seconds or so.

8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

WAIT A MINUTE!

You're telling me that just pushing the snow ACROSS the road, say into someone elses lawn, will get you fined??? I'm glad I learned this now, but I don't know where I'm gonna put the snow on half of my accounts...

9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

In most cities, there is an ordinance that makes it illegal to plow snow from a driveway or lot into the city streets and just leave it there.

The will however in some towns and cities allow pushing to the opposite curb.

Check with your local town or city hall. wouldn't want to get a fine now would you.

10. PINEISLAND1

So your not using Eblings newer blade with the pump mounted on the bumper? You have long hoses running under all your trucks like mine are?

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

We have 1 older truck with a Boss electric system. The rest are clutch-pump or Honda engine powered central hydraulic systems. Yeah, I guess lots more hoses. But the only hoses that go bad are the ones actually going into the cylinders on the front blade and rear blade.

12. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We learned a new trick a few years ago - DRIBBLE

It requires a vee blade and a length of street and the neighbours to be watching a video. Some of our places mysteriously get no snowbanks during the whole winter!!! If the road is not plowed yet, our technique takes correspondingly less road length!

13. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

That's what I like to do when possible too. Except that we usually purposely wait until the city has cleared the road so we don't have to come back to do the aprons. Therefor, we usually don't get a chance to use the "dribble" method.

14. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Around here it is a $50 fine for putting any snow on the road, that goes for plowing out driveways and snow blowing sidewalks. And the police like to give the tickets out. We only do about 5 driveways(Everything else is commerical) but we put 95% of the snow up the driveway, the only time we put it out in the street is if it hasn't been plowed yet, and we are having trouble finding somewhere to put it at the end of the driveway, even then we try to cleanup the road as good as we can, thats why we went with almost all commerical work, because sometimes a small driveway could be more frustrating to do than a 5 acre parking lot. Just My two cents

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Re: WAIT A MINUTE!

That is correct. I am in central CT and the 4 towns I plow in all have the same ordinance.

16. cabrone

cabrone Junior Member

The parkways are property of the city/town, therefore the neighbor across the street can't say jack---- about it just as long as you don't leave any in the street and as for police giving out fines/tickets for doing so...I feel for their dumbasses when I drive buy and need to be pulled out of the ditch!!!!

17. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Actually, laws usually specify that all snow must remain on the property. So, pushing it across the street onto the neighbors lawn, is illegal as well. I too do the dribble, but only small amounts, not the whole pile from the driveway. I also push back the piles from the road plow, after they plow the roads, to open the aprons more.

I really "feel" for the idiots around here that learn the hard way after getting a $500 ticket for doing it on a town road, and a $700 ticket for doing it on a county road.

Remember, some who plow by night, are cops by day....

~Chuck

18. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

For us this has not been a problem,if we need to put snow in the street we do then we windrow it up against the curb when we are done and it hasn't been a problem.If you can't do this thats great just stack it a parking space wait a couple of snows and charge them to remove it.We love this it provides great off snow days work.

19. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Around here we're allowed to go across the street with the snow (residential only), but it's a $300 fine if we leave it in the street. We have lots of medians in the streets and we put snow up there all the time - just can't leave it in the street.

Up here, there are some concessions because of all the snow we get and neighbors usually don't ***** too loud if snow from across the street ends up in their lawn as their snow goes across the street too. The people that ***** are the ones that move in from out of town and don't realize what snow is all about yet.

20. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

You were talking of the dribble method in this post, I could not figure out that one. Can you give to me some details.

Thanks

Denis