1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for gravel driveway

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jlbaker79, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jlbaker79

jlbaker79 Junior Member

In Northern Michigan this am we currently have around 5-7 inches and more coming. We have a very long (about a quarter mile) hill ridden gravel driveway (and when I saw hills I mean BIG hills). We have a plow truck that did not come with skids and due to some procrastination still does not have skids. Any recommendations for safely plowing the gravel driveway? I am sure that the ground is still relatively soft. We can't get out to p/u skids until we can get out of the driveway.Any advice would be great. Thanks. Jen
  2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

By skids, I assume you mean shoes.

Lots of guys/gals don't use them anyway. Couple of options is to bump the plow up so that it isn't resting on the ground.

Others use a pipe on edge. This entails that slit the pipe so it fits over the edge, with some way of fastening it. There are some threads, with pictures, I believe, here on the site.

3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Lots of people will tell you to bump the plow up a little. That works for a level driveway, yet not one with hills in it. I have a gravel driveway and just plowed it. Yes you are correct, the frost is not in the ground deep enough yet (only about 2" of frost in central WI). I did dig in a bit but only when I got too close to the grassy hillside. YES, shoes or the pipe method would help you out in the fall and spring when the ground is not fully frozen.

4. I plow gravel almost exclusively. 80% of my driveways are 1000ft + Several over 2500ft.

At this time of year I run a 1 3/4" pipe edge and shoes. I set the shoes so the pipe sits up about 1/4". I posted some pics on another thread.

Since you don't have shoes, Put a pipe on it or you'll be ripping up the gravel.