1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for eyesell, or anyone with timbrens

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Starboyz66FTP, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

i recently bought a 2007 f350 reg cab 5.4 v8, with an 81/2 mvp plus, with plow on truck maybe sags 1" in front to 1 1/2", i am considering putting timbrens on to stiffen it up more, how do u like hte ride with the timbrens, and how was the install, do they make the truck sit higher at all or just stiffer, i am looking at timbrens or a 2" leveling kit, what do u think

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Timbrens made a HUGE difference on my truck...in a good way! The ride without the plow on is a little stiffer, which is what i like anyway. With a new vehicle, the install would take 45 mins TOPS!

3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I can't imagine you would need them on an f350. Have you tried 5 or 6 hundred pounds of ballast in the back?

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Exactly,,,, Timbrens -why????????????. 5-7 hundred pounds in the back and the truck is back to normal ride look, just a tad lower. Spend that 250 on something usefull.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My Brother-in-law had them on his 2004 with the 5.4. He had to take them back out. The ride was very harsh and when he went over potholes or speed bumbs the plow would take a hell of a beating. He broke the piece that holds the chain up on his Fisher plow twice. The Fords sit nice and high and I don't see the need for the Timbrens. He does run ballast.

6. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I have a 2006 F-350 reg cab psd with a 9-2 boss poly v blade and don't have timbrens and it only sags maybe a 1/2 inch but I also have a vbox always loaded. Like they said earlier put some weight in the bed and that should take care of it.

7. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I have a crew cab long bed dually f350 with a powerstroke and i put a set of firestone airbags on the front and back. It was the best move i have ever made i hang an 8.5 western on the front and 8ft v-box in the rear. With the plow up and the hopper loaded im still above factory height and when im done just let the air out and back to factory ride height. IT ROCKS!!

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Timbren's are really that bad? I know the ballast will help. But I didn't think they would be that bad.

9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Timbrens are awful. I use to work for a guy that had a 03 2500HD chevy reg cab long box 4x4. Had a 7.5' SnoWay plow. Had a 18' enclosed Haulmark trailer with 2 Z's and a w/b in summer. 70 gal. transfer tank and a loaded toolbox on truck. It rode AWFUL! I pulled that same trailer with my truck and it didn't squat it much just leveled it out like any trailer should do. There was no need for Timbrens on that truck. The ride empty was terrible, the ride loaded was worse. Timbrens are ridiculous. Their operating principles are bad enough: they are an extended bumpstop. Whats that mean? When the Timbrens are "doing their job as intended" you have no suspension travel left. This is why it rides so rough. Your suspension is not bottomed out, your truck won't sag, but its range of movement is limited such that it cannot flex anymore once it hits the Timbrens. Not only is the resulting ride extremely rough, its also dangerous... Having properly, freely operating suspension is one of the key essentials to how a vehicle handles. How it handles determines how safe it is on the road. When you alter and put a stop to the movement of your vehicle's suspension, your truck won't handle very good. Timbrens are harsh to ride on and they're dangerous. Do yourself and others a favor and don't do it. I know people will say it helps blah blah blah but the thing is they're just plain bad news. If you want better weight handling get air bags, add-a-leafs (on leaf springs), or crank your Torsion bars a little for some height, coil spring spacers work good to add a little height without sacrificing suspension performance and capability.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm in the process of installing them on all my trucks from half tons to 550's. I think they are a great addition to a plow truck.

Pretty broad statement to say they are unsafe.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

98 Dodge, 2500, with diesel 3500 coil springs up front # 46 # 47
    Boss 8,2 with wings, and around 700lb to 1000lb of weight in the box.
    AND Timbrens on the front and rear.
    01 Dodge 2500, 8.5 Hiniker plow, with plow prep and timbrens front and rear, with around 600lb in the box

I use to be a NON-believer too. Just like a few others in this thread.
    I even said some of the same things.

The ride empty is the same as the timbrens are about 3" from the axles.
    When you are loaded down they keep your trucks front from diving from hard breaking and from the wobble/ giggle/bounce from being loaded down.

How about when you lower your plow and the front goes up and the rear goes down.
    Timbrens installed on the rear axle will stop this.

The axle travel does not stop when the axle is in contact with the timbren. They do not stop the axle but they will stop you from bottoming out.

Sure the ride is firmer when loaded down.
    Hello, Mc.Fly!!! there work trucks, and you are complaining about not having the same ride quality as a Cadillac?

Some will tell you not to use them(timbrens) as any modification to the suspension is UN-safe.
    Then they will give you other modifications to do to your suspensions other than installing timbrens.

If you are looking for a cheap and easy fix to the problems of weight distribution get the timbrens. Other wise get out the cheek book and get new springs.(and timbrens)

All of my work trucks will have timbrens installed on them front and rear no matter if it is a 2500 or a 4500..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

SF, how's the weather? ;)

Thanks for taking the time to spell it all out, I didn't feel like 'cuz I'm lazy. However, I did want to post to see my typing and my name up there as well as see me having nothing to say. :nod: :redbounce

13. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

I put timbrens on my f 150 and i love em. Theyve made a hge difference in the trucks ability to plow. The ride is firmer, which i dont mind at all. I still have plenty of suspension travel, and the front end feels much stronger and tigher wen i am plowing...Just my opinion

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Weather?:

We might get the first real snow fall of the season this weekend.:dizzy:
    Thats if it does not go south of us again..

;) I like to see my name in every thread.
    But I'm just to lazy to type that much.:waving:

15. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Timbrens or not?

I know you guys are talking Ford trucks but with all my GMC's front Timbrens are a must and Air bags in the back on all Pickups.I also have Timbrens on 3500 Dump.

16. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have timbrens on my Ram 3500. Not necessary but I recommend them. I really haven't noticed that much of a difference on any truck I've had them on.

17. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I have them on my truck. I noticed a difference right away. As for the ride, that didnt change IMO. Worst comes to worst, save your old bump stops and put them on in the spring. Like was said earlier, it only take at most 45 min to install.

18. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I have a 2006 f350 diesel with a blizzard pp. Measured the sag at 2" - not a big deal - I would use a 2" leveling kit before timbrens. Just my 2 cents....

19. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

I have a 2006 F350 with the 6.0L, and 8.5 Western MVP Plus. she sags a little bit but not much. I put the 2inch leveling kit in it over the summer, the front end still sags alittle bit with the plow up but it makes the truck look 20 times beefier.