1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question for CT guys

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jsheedy75, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I am curious as to what you all are putting down after plowing commercial lots? I have seen salt, salt sand, and just sand. I would love to be able to start using strait treated salt. I just wonder if people will complain not seeing the "sand".

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We use straight salt,it costs 2x as much but it goes 4x as far.I hate to see lots that look like a beach from all the sand,plus it gets tracked into the stores.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I actually just got a complaint from a customer saying he hardly sees any sand and didnt want to pay.I told him thats because most of the time i use salt... the sand doesnt really do anything but look good.I use mostly salt but when it gets below say 20F i use a sand/ salt mix, that way anything that doesnt melt off has some sand to give traction. Straight treated salt from what i have seen works extremly well parking lots.

4. PLANET

PLANET Member

I use sand/salt mix. sand to give some traction for lots. Staight ice melt on walks.

5. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

we run straight salt because the customers ask for it.mcdonalds doesnt want sand tracking in on the floors ruining the tile.I also like to see a wet lot on the way out.

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

There's a guy around here who uses very small blue stone mixed with salt... it makes the lot look blue. But I'm from New Hampshire.

I think a 75% salt with 25% sand is best.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use a sand/salt mix that i buy a yard at a time

8. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

double response

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  9. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I use to us just salt but, the custumers got mad. Say no traction during storm and they tracked it into the garage eating there floor and sidewalks. Now I just use sand/salt mix. Also, salt only on hilly properties didn't work well for me. But for business lots it is good unless like others say low temps. Also, one time someone fell then sued me and there lawyers and mine wear asking if I put sand down, so liabilty way is why I use sand also now. BTW, where does everyone buy there salt here in CT and paying per ton? I buy mine preseason and stockpile it and mix it up as needed.

10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I buy straight from the terminal in New Haven.Also keep a little sand in case of severe icing we can mix a little.

11. PLOWMAN45

i have a few places in so norwalk pre mixed like 20.00 per ton

12. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

i truck my salt right out of gateway terminal and also have a large pile of mix also just incase we need it.I pay for it all by the ton.

13. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I looking for a new salt distributor, do you guys have the # for your distributor? Also, how much you guys paying a ton of salt?

thanks,
    Rob

14. PLOWMAN45

like magic salt or bulk material

15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Bulk salt.

thanks,
    Rob

16. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

http://www.gatewayt.com/intermodal.htm
    gateway terminal in new haven.u can call and order loads diresctly from them or pick up.sometimes u can find a place that will deliver a full load cheaper than u can get it from gateway.

17. all seasons

all seasons Member

for some reason my customers all need to see the sand,so i use salt/sand.Works ok and is pleasing to customers eye.

18. ctplower

ctplower Junior Member

Middlesex Ice Control, LLC

Bill Ramhold

19. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I am 100% hooked on magic salt.
    It looks brown and almost looks like sand when you first put it down, but then melts right in. I just did half of a parking lot i have to show a customer how well it works, I pretreated on 1 side with a couple 50lbs bags of magic and nothing on the other. Side a (with magic) is bare pavement no ice build up. Side b (not treated) was packed snow and ice. after treating it with sand/salt mix it turned to a gross slush that tracked into his store. to make a long story short he is now having me pretreat all storms.
    Buy a 50lb. bag of magic and you will love it.

20. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I did not even realize there was magic salt available in middletown and thats where im based out of.

I cant use bulk yet until i get rid of my pro flo spreader(soon i hope). Do you have to get the 50 pound bags by the pallet?Very interested as the home depot salt doesnt cut it on cold nights.