1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for Canadian contractors hiring subs in Southern Ont (GTA)I

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowfarmths, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Snowfarmths

Snowfarmths Junior Member
    from Ontario

Please bare with me because this is a rather lengthy discussion . I have been plowing snow for the last five years as a subcontractor . I have been working for the same company for that length time and have been treated really fair and have had no issues. I farm full time but have the equipment to do the proper job we are hired for . I like being a sub and have no desire to ever get into this on my own. I have my own insurance and also get named under their policy also. We run a 6430 with a 10/16 and also a 6120R with a loader / kage set up. The ladder is used mainly on the farm or for back up if something breaks. I ordered this April a 8/14 live edge to replace the 10/16. Well in June we traded in a JD 326d skid loader that was five years old with 450 hours ( never got used) and purchased a 244k . We put 150 hours on in just three month much better for our operation . I changed the order to mount the live edge to fit this machine . All is good . So this is the crux of the story I thought maybe I would put two plows out for service this year since I have them. The company I work for may have only work for one so I have started looking for other work for the other machine. My insurance company that covers all my insurance dropped snow plowing last year off my policy . We got it added back on but at a low limit of snow plow receipts . This year they agreed to do it again. Since I want to do more my broker has had to go to a secondary market for a quote . A lot of money!!! Like I said before my company has treated really fairly how much they paid me for my sub work.When I gave my prices out to others they thought I was high for sub work. I understand everybody needs to make money and the headaches I'm glad somebody else has them and should get paid for that. My question is ( and JD Dave talked to me when I first started and gave me some good advise) to you guys hiring subs . I also know the area makes a difference too .
    1) am I out to lunch trying to get 125/135 hour for a loader set up like I described?
    2) the quote I got for insurance is like 100 dollars for ever 1000 dollars in receipts is this right?I have to take up to 60000$ even if I don't do that much.
    This is Canadian dollar prices.
    We give great service , like I said we have a two back up plows (forgot the plow truck) and a mechanic that comes out if we break down . Good operators with lots of experience running equipment . That is all worth something I believe.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016