1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for B&B

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

B&B I have got a quick question for you. I am in the process of putting new pads and rotors on my truck. I have got the one side almost all the way together but it almost seems that the CV shaft is not going into the Hub assembly as far as it was before. This side has a new rotor and a new hub assembly. Do you think this needs to slide in farther or is it fine as it is?

Thanks for your help.

Brake Job 001.jpg

Brake Job 002.jpg

Brake Job 003.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

looks real close to me. take a pick and see if you can get between the half shaft and the hub. and you know there is a spec ft lb spec on the axle nut? and dont use a impact to install nut. the hammering on the bearings will cut the life in half.

b&b will chime in soon and will prob know the spec off the top of his head.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

The CV is definately in contact with the hub itself there is no gap. I used an impact on the 36mm nut I wish I had known not to use an impact before. I put it together and drove it around it seems to ride great just a well as before. I am probably worrying about nothing.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometime's the replacement hub assemblies are a little different in depth and will make the CV ride in a different spot...not at all uncommon there..

But, much more importantly...how tight did you tighten the axle nut with the impact ABES? They have to be done with a torque wrench because an under (or) over torque on the nut will shorten the life of the hub bearing I promise. Torque spec is 165 ft lbs...no more and no less.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

OH OH ! ! ! ! Now what ? ? ? May have to start over...

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

NAh, I would just crack the nut loose and re torque it....

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I got it fairly tight with the impact although my impact isnt that powerful. I tightened it up a little bit more with a 1/2" ratchet. I will just back off the nut and torque it down to the 165 ft lbs.