1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for B&B or anyone, diesel distributors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Aug 23, 2009.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I have three of these GM distributors part number 11040718020 I think they are for a diesel but I can't seem to find any information about them. Anyone have any info related to that part number?

There is no place for a cap and rotor, it looks like its just there to drive the oil pump off of the cam and is bolted down with one bolt.

Thanks for the help,
    Tim

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Part number's no good Tim. How about a few good pix? If you want to keep them fullsize you can send them to me directly. [​IMG]

Sounds like what you have is the oil pump drive assemblies. May not be just for a diesel either as they could be for any engine that were originally designed for an external distributor but went to a coil near plug system in the later years and only used the drive assembly to run the oil pump. Like a 3.8 Buick or 8.1 for example.

3. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

B&B,
    picture sent, thanks.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Without having the correct p/n Tim I won't say with 100% certainty, but based on the pic you sent I would however say with 95% certainty that they're for the '01-up 8.1L big block gas engine. Current p/n for that would be 12568356.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I like that little trick with the email B&B LMAO

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keeps the spiders at bay too. ;)

7. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

Thanks B&B,
    I don't remember buying these but they are new, I've never had an 01 and up 8.1L either, its amazing what you find when you clean up the garage.

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Could you show us the pictures ??? So we can see what you are talking about ...It's kind of a want to learn thing ...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here ya go Rich. It's job is only to drive the oil pump from the camshaft gear. The same job that the distributor would have once done.

11040718020.JPG

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you !!!! I learned some more .....

11. glad to think i wasn't the only one that saw "diesel distributor" and raised an eyebrow you learn something new every day! i have capless distributors too but they didn't come from gm that way (demolition derby car), front gets hit, front goes up engine included, firewall dosn't bye bye distributor!! lesson learned!