1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by robo01, Dec 23, 2007.

1. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

I have a 2002 1500 5.3 X-cab and i wanted to but a plow on it and i was thinking about a western 7'6" i clean up walks right now i usally have about 400 pounds of ice melt in the back weight. Will that plow mess my truck up???
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

as u can see by my signature i dont have a plow yet but these guys here in this forum have been the best help. what i can say is visit any of the plow manufacters to see which plow is the best.. then a set of timbrens and ballast behind the rear axle and u should be fine...... i would suggest the western midweight it 540#.....
  3. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

thank you for your reply i dont think the midweight plow would be able to do what im looking forward to do.
  4. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

1/2 tons aren't really made for plowing but if you take it easy you should be fine. You can save up to get a 3/4 or 1 ton. Most of us started out with less than ideal trucks. You just gotta get out there and do it. Good luck.:nod:
  5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

you should be fine with that truck/plow combo. Timbrens,they work great to keep the front up.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The plow won't, but you might.

98 f-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST 7.5
  7. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

thanks for all your advise. Im trying to save up and i have this 3/4 in mind wiht a western 8' plow i just wanted to make a few bucks on the side. I was looking at blizzard plows. The blizzard plows any good?
  8. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

ok i just read aobut the blizzard plows and i found nothing but problems so i was thinking about a sport-duty plow from boss. I think my truck would be able to handle that with out a problem. pro's give me some advice
  9. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i have a 1500 crew cab chevy and i run a 7'-6" western pro plow with timbrens and turned torsion bars up and put about 500 lbs of weight in the rear. the truck is a tank. plows just as good as my friends 3/4 2500 but the ride is alot better. just be carefull and remember not to beat the truck. respect that it is a 1500 and you will do fine.
  10. thebosshodges

thebosshodges Junior Member
    from kc, mo

i love my blizzard 810 power plow. cut plow time on my lots from 45 minutes to 20.
    any plow you put on a 1/2 ton or any truck will ultimately destroy it.
    wheel bearing, tie rod ends, sway bars, alignments, all become yearly maintainence replacement items.
    Plowing is a high dollar business, but save money back for replacement and repairs.
    You can get started with any meyer,boss,western, hiniker plows.

REQUIREMENTS: MUST BE AT LEAST 7'6" (8' is better)
    FOR A YEAR OR TWO.(you get that much wear in one day for hire)

Parts are readily available online competitively, used plows are everywhere for usually cheap.
    Avoid heavy plows for your 1/2 ton, V-Plows and Power Plows are too heavy..
    bagged goods of deicer or salt stacked against tailgate work for counter weight.
  11. robo01

robo01 Junior Member

thanks for everones advise. I think ill just stick wiht walks this season and ill save up money for a 3/4 ton next season. Thanks everyone
  12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

you'll be alright.. I wouldn't recommend it on a brand new 1500 beings that it would void the warranty.. you'll do just fine with the 7.6 but nothing bigger