1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for all you v plow owners!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Quality SR, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of getting a 8' 2" v plow, either western or boss. I have been leaning more toward boss.. I went on the boss website, and i saw the v plows with trip springs. Is that only for when the plow is in the straight position? If so what happens to the plow when it is in the v or scoop position and you hit something? Does it ride over it? Thanks in advance.
    Rich

2. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

With the Western plow, the bottom trip works well. If you hit something shorter than the bottom trip, you are good, anything higher, better have a neckbrace.

3. natlancaster

natlancaster Junior Member

My Boss vee trips in the "V" also.

nat

4. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

If you go with the boss it will trip in all positions. I can't get enough of the boss. Everything works great. No chain lifts, fast angle, and great headlights. I have zero complains and my plow gets used.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are plowing commercial I would go with the Western Pro Plow Plus V and get the wings also. I bought the wings and made them fit my Arctic. It will scoop great and has cut down on the amount of snow I put under cars. If you are looking for the ability to scoop I would look at a straight Western and buy the wings. This is only if you are doing commercial. The wings will help with the windroeing and cut your plowing time down. Same idea as the Blizzard.

6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Boss V best of all worlds. Trips in all positions and has cylinder releases when in scoop position. No need to buy wings doesn't windrow in scoop.

7. Quality SR

I was really leaning toward the BOSS. How does the back dragging option work, for the v plow? Most of my work is commercial, maybe 6-8houses (3 are freebies my house and my in laws and her grandparents).
    Also how does the shoes effect the performance of the scoop and v?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ditto and Ditto:waving:

Plus you can get the Boss wings also. There a nice addition.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i have the boss v and ive tripped it straight but never v'ed. i cant say anything bad about it, altough some smartlocks for backdragging would be nice

10. Quality SR

I was just on the site now and i am looking at the poly.. What are the pros and cons, poly vs. steel??

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Poly is heaver than the steel plows.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The snow does not stick to the poly plows. Less weight on the front of the truck and you move more snow.

13. Quality SR

poly is heavier than steel.....??!!!?? :dizzy: :dizzy:
    Wow i didn't know that.. How does it hold up to heavy commercial use?

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't run the shoes, so I cannot comment.

If you swing a deal, make sure it's got the new cutting edges on the Boss, so there's no rubber "hoof" in the middle.

Also, try to do the smartlock cylinders as well. I have them, a buddy doesn't.

Sometimes his wants to fold into the "scoop" position when he's backdragging.

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Spray the steel with Fluid Film and no stick problems anymore. Sprayed mine at the end of November. Have plowed 191 driveways this season and it is now just starting to stick again.

16. Quality SR

Thanks for your advice, ill look in to the smartlock cylinders.
    I plow with the shoes, when i do the driveways i take them off. Much cleaner

17. Quality SR

Thanks for letting me know about the fluid film. I received the sample the other day and have yet to put it on, due to the lack of snow we had..:cry: :realmad:

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Shoes on or off???
    source, Boss web site,• When plowing in dirt or gravel, lower the plow shoes. This will raise the blade so you don't scrape the surface away. When plowing on asphalt or concrete, raise or remove the plow shoes so that you scrape as close to the surface as possible.....

I don't use them(shoes) on gravel after the ground is frozen.

Take a look at Boss web site and select the plow you want in the poly and steel.
    The ploy plow is heaver.

I prefer the steel it is easer to make repairs to it when the need arises.

19. Quality SR

I am on the website and i saw what it said about the shoes.. I forgot to mention that it is asphalt. Alot of guys take them off, i leave them on. I was asking those who leave them on, if it effects the plow in the v or scoop position.
    I am going to get the steel. I am going to wait after this season when prices come down.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

This spring or early summer shopuld be a good time to buy equipment.;)