1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for all snow pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by osc, Jan 1, 2001.

1. osc

osc Junior Member

I do lawn and landscape and have systematically turned down all requests to bid on snow and salt. The thing is, I live in Southern Ohio and snowfall is quite marginal some years. This is this first real winter in a long time for my area.
    I like to do other things in the winter and really didn't want to be held hostage everytime snow was in the forcast.

Thing is, when I add up what I've turned down, it's starting to look more attractive. The only suitable truck I have for this is a 1 ton dually dump truck (Ford F350). My question is how are these trucks at plowing snow? I really don't intend on buying a 4 wheel drive just to get into snow removal. Right now this truck seem fine if there is some weight in the bed but I've never had a plow on it and certainly have never pushed snow with it.

Thanks for all you're replies!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

If you put enough weight in your truck bed and have good snow type tires on it, it should do fine at plowing. The only place you may have some problems is on a hilly area, but just stay away from them. You can make as much or more money with that truck plowing in 7 to 10 days as you do in 30 doing the lawn thing, so it's something to consider.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Eric on this one. With a plow on the front, and maybe a thousand pounds in the dump-box, you'd be moving some serious snow!

-Tim

4. Jason_S

Jason_S Junior Member

The biggest problem you'll have is visibility. You are always guessing where stuff is. The mirrors only show so much

5. Mudrtrukr79

Mudrtrukr79 Junior Member

2WD plowing

I work for Pittsburgh DPW and 90 % of all our trucks are 2WD, we have been plowing this way for years and have had very little problems.The way we do it is to go out and plow all our streets first using the salt on the bed as weight then come back and salt the streets. Another thing is tire chains we use tire chains while plowing and this helps in the traction department.Hope this helps

Dan

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

it wil work with a load of sand and some rear tire chains if your plowing roads if not alot of weight .Pick up much better for driveways unless they are huge.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

D not put 1000 lbs in the bed,put at least 2500-preffeably more,and try to get it as far back on the body as you can,the lighter your front tires are,the better chance you have of not getting stuck on the edges of driveways and dips.Keep a shovel with you,so you can spread some salt/sand under the rear tires when you get stuck lightly,and a stretch strap for when you get stuck big time.If your careful you shouldnt get stuck,and if you do,a little sand should get you out.good luck,and dont miss out on the money

8. eggy

eggy Member

I think you should be fine, I am in Southern Indiana and the snows here are probably equal to yours, about 2-3 inches each time and a little ice, are street crew uses a 3/4 ton older chevy(86)2wd with a salter and the guys say it does fine I am sure if we get hit with 8+ that might change but that looks unlikly. I am kinda with you we dont do snow yet but are looking into it...only commercial accounts no residential and no per push only seasonal contract next year should be a good year to sell this in do to the snows this year....I am thinking about buying us a older 4x4 for about 5k for our truck to ue for snow and mmaybe a gator.....kinda running numbers and its a toss up. Good luck....

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

On spot chains won't hurt.

Geoff

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

city where I will be plowing uses a 70's Ford Dump truck and has chains on them. They seem to do pretty good.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Careful with chains guys!!! I still have chain marks in my parkinglots and driveways from the 36" Blizzard of '96. I will only put them on when its above 2' of snow (you basically have to!!) which isn't that often here. If you have a 2wd dump, max the gvw to the limit! You do need some on front axle, as you will be doing wheelies all over the place. Really though, it'll help the steering with an evenly distributed load. Just dont pull down into a driveway with a hill and expect to back out!!

12. CHC

CHC Junior Member

We use a '92 F350 Dump & an '85 D350 Dump, as well as a '74 F600; all are 2WD. We put a minimum of 1000# of cinders in the rear of each bed. Works really well most of the time. Can get a bit ugly when you are trying to back uphill with ice underneath. Raising the bed will help a great deal. Seems to transfer just enough weight to the rear wheels to make a difference.

13. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Dixie1, IN the blizzard of 96 i used chains on my 8hp snow blower. To this day ever single side walk i used ti on had to tracks down them from the chains... didnt do anything to the asphalt! i took them off real soon!

14. slingshot

slingshot Junior Member

Out of all my trucks i have 1 89 f 350 dump 2 wheel drive i fill the v box up and it works great that is with about 2 ton in the box. it is good for flat parking lots . drives with hills are tough. make sure your back brakes are adjusted right with any kind of weight in the rear when you are on ice and snow your front wheels will just lock up and you will slide..

15. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

One of the trucks we use is an 89' f450 superduty rack body with a 9' western. It works pretty good for lots but it never see's a drive. we got 2' of snow this weekend and where useing it. At the beging of the storm it was getting stuck all the time but then we filled the v box and put chians on and it worked fine.

16. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

OSC,Eggy...I'm further south than you guys and having a great year.I jumped in with both feet this year and as you know I picked a good winter to do it.Yes,we will have lite winters and you will not make as much but its better than sitting inside all winter looking for things to do.Yes,you will be tied down to the weather forcast,I have been for the last month but thats OK with Me.Just keep your costs down and grow with it just as you did when you started on the "green side" of the biz.GOOD LUCK...JRB

17. allabout

allabout Member

Lot's of weight & good tires I have a 95 Dodge ram 3500 2wd dump (flat lander for big open lots.) works with 99 Q- cab 2500 4x4 that gets loading docks & tight spots.

18. osc

osc Junior Member

Thanks again for all the replies, this snow forum is pretty active.

19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I got a buddy who pushes snow with a 93 f150 2wd he puts sand in the back and plows great.If he plows with that you will be fine.

20. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

My city uses mostly international 2WD 5 ton trucks for plowing and one All Wheel Drive.