1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for ALL snow plowers out there.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Jan 16, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

What is your absolute favorite time to have to go out and snow plow? Middle of the night, middle of the day, morning,etc.
    Me, preferrably, I LOOOOOOVE going out late at night-I'm talking around from 1AM to whenever......No traffic(HUGE factor, I'm sure you all can relate!), it's nice and quiet, all the customers are sleeping, noone to bother you. It's nice, quiet and tranquil at this time of night as well. It's just me and the snow....couldnt get any better if you ask me. I also love the temporary isolation of it all. :D

Craig in CT. :waving:

2003 F350 w/ Meyer EZ Mount II plow
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

middle of the night, except for friday and saturday. i plow in a college town and there are alot of idiots that have to go drink during a bizzard. :)
  3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I like going out around 4 am. Enough time to have gotten some sleep and still no one on the roads. That changes in a hurry around 7 though when rush hour hits and you can't back out of a driveway for 5 mins.
  4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Any time before 4 or 5 in the morning.
  5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I want Heavy Snow all through the day :) Having it stop around 9 or 10 pm. This gives my till 5am to get the gas stations and hotels done, till 9 am to get the restaurants done and plenty of time to do all the residential
  6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

nite time

i love nite time.not that many dopes out and the scenery and
    wildlife can be something else... :drinkup:
  7. sbrem

sbrem Member

I for the most part just plow one big parking lot. A Price Chopper supermarket. It usually takes my 6 - 7 hrs to do. Usualy I have to go in at 2 - 3am so by the time I finish there is a lot of traffic coming in, which is a pain. The way our last 2 storms fell I was able to go in at around 9 pm and finish around when I usually go in. It sure is nice when the parking lot gets emptier as you go insted of getting fuller.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Anytime there's no morons parking where I'm plowing. :cool:
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

If I can start around 10 or 11pm I love it, there's no one on the road and you can get down to business. Hate plowing during the day too much traffic. Got a couple parking lots that have too many cars running in and out of them, makes things real difficult.
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

11. trying to make

trying to make Member

I like starting early evening,while traffic still out.plow all night and morning.then traffic picks up time to stop and eat.then it starts to suck plowing with all the sheepthat some of you may call people.these are the same sheep you see at walmart standing in the middle of the aisle as you want to go past.now that you have been up a while and getting tired it is time to make sure you got some cheap sunglasses and some ZZ top.If you over book yourself like I am acustom to make sure you have sunglasses as the likes to f*&^ up your eyes
  12. sbrem

sbrem Member

Isn't that the truth. Why do they always have to park where they are the most in the. During one of the last storms when I did the first section of parking lot there were a few cars in that part, mostly employees of the store. I cleaned up around the cars the best I could. A while later one of them came out to move their car. Instead of moving it just a couple spaces over where it was all nice and clear, he moved his car to a section of the lot that I had not plowed yet. So when I got there I had to plow around the same car again :realmad:

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I hate working midnights except when I'm plowing. It's quiet and no one is around to get in your way. I like going home around 7 AM!
  14. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I like being out at around 1-4am. Usually nothing but fellow plowers. :waving:
  15. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I prefer night time because of the idiots out driving during the day.
    But right now I will take anytime - We arent getting that much snow around here :cry:

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

At least when you see a fellow plow guy you can wave! :waving:
  17. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Late at night, only other vehicles on the road are other plow guys.

I only do my parking lots and a few personal driveways, so its not exactly the same.
  18. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Early mornings the best 2-3am. The snow's undisturbed,if there's no wind it's stacked on the electric lines and tree limbs it's just beautiful! There's no one out on the roads but cops and us.The parking lots are empty and no lines at the gas stations.
  19. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I prefer to plow at Midnight or early morning. I do residential only, but do have a couple of houses on a very busy street.
    It's always a traffic jam at these two properties at rush hour. If it wasn't for the fact that they are two of my best customers I probably wouldn't have bothered to do the job.
  20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

call me a vampire,I love the night. :D