1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question for 01-02 Duramax owners

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I am considering buy a 01-02 duramax and I was wondering what your opnions are on the truck as a whole. What you like about and what you dont like about it. Im prob going to get a crew cab or ext cab short box. Thanks for any info.
  2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You can find, quite literally, more information than you could ever want at www.dieselplace.com This site is absolutely loaded with just about everything you would want to know about these trucks and the engine/transmissions they are equipped with. If I were you, I would spend at least a few hours navigating this site before buying the truck, this way you have a full background in it. I will also add that the Duramax in the 01-02 is the same Duramax in the 03-04 (LB7).

With that said, I personally think that the best single part of the truck is the Allison 1000. It is smooth and flawless, IMO. The second best part is the motor. The worst single part would have to be the front suspension. It is a terrible design. If you have any specific questions about the truck, feel free to PM me.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have an 01 crew cab duramax 6 1/2 bed and love it. nice smooth ride in the summer and carries the plow plow fine in the winter(turn the bars up in the winter and back down in the summer). 126000 miles, replaced alt, tensioner, and coolant bypass hose. Don't need the truck since we sold our 5th wheel camper. Also have an 01 standard cad with a 6.0 Has plenty of power for the work we do(never towing over 7000lbs). When diesel and gas were the same price, diesel was better, now diesel running .40 to .50 more per gallon so gas is cheaper to run.....
  4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

2500HD Duramax

I have a 01 crew cab Shortbed with duramax. I luv it. 83,000 on the clock never a lick of trouble. I pull a 14 K 45 foot gooseneck equipment trailer with it-- plenty of smoke for that. I ordered mine with the 6 spd manual trans. I like sticks over autos -even the allison- but I wouldn't want it for plowing. First gear is so deep it's only good for about 3 mph. I get 22 to 25 mpg empty and around 16-18 with the trailer on.
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Normally I'm for manuals, but the Allison is just too smooth to pass up. It also handles more power than the ZF-6.